Should I buy a lotto ticket? Comcast screwed up, what to do with 2047 additional public IPv4's? Joking...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tillburn

Aug 23, 2020
Though I joke about this, I did call comcast to tell them about it. Of course their tier two tech support probably doesn't know DHCP and DNS from a hole in the ground (at least this was my experience today)... Any guesses how long it takes for the trouble ticket to hit an engineers desk? I am placing a heavy weight on Tuesday, because it isn't super critical and the gears tend to turn slowly in the comcast machine.

Not sure what happened, but clearly a provisioning mistake made its way into production... All sorts of fun things entered my mind with what to do with 2048 public IPs... Could be some fun times on a unlimited symmetrical gigabit connection, but I won't abuse the situation. They surely will miss a couple thousand ip's from the pool. I remember when if you had a class c as a small business you were getting into some serious IT infrastructure, now maybe not so much.

Just something funny I thought I'd share... Enjoy.

ComcastLOLip.JPG

Scarlet

Jul 29, 2019
I see one IP adress assigned to you within a /21 subnet. How does this screen tell that you have the complete subnet for yourself? Can you even get a second IP adress assigned?

I'm sitting on a /24 subnet and my ISP makes sure that I can get exactly one IP adress for a well-known MAC address.

ArmedAviator

May 16, 2020
Kansas
As @Scarlet mentioned above, you have a single IP on a /21 subnet.

On Spectrum, I get an IP in a /22 subnet. Not uncommon, and doesn't mean you get to use the IPs willy nilly - it just defines the network and the broadcast domain.

Reactions: fohdeesha