Should I bother buying a new router

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bmacklin

Dec 10, 2013
So I got a regular AC router from TP-Link and it is pretty good (Archer C9). The downside is it doesn't have open vpn server or client support. I was thinking of returning it and getting the more expensive Asus A68U which support openvpn server and client. I understand I can flash my router with DDWRT, but I will lose the USB port functionality.

Is it worth the transition? I'm pretty happy with the AC performance on the Archer C9, so it would suck to lose performance by switching to the Asus. Is it worth it to make the switch for $50 more?

I guess I could run pfSense but most of the time I turn my computers off (including the NAS) to save on power cost, so I don't want to keep a machine running just to act as a router.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Simple soultion, unless you like to tinker.

If you are happy with the existing TP-link router, keep it.
Take the $50 , buy a second router to run Openvpn.
The new VPN router locates behind the TP-link router.

bmacklin

Dec 10, 2013
Simple soultion, unless you like to tinker.

If you are happy with the existing TP-link router, keep it.
Take the $50 , buy a second router to run Openvpn.
The new VPN router locates behind the TP-link router.
Yeah I have an old W54G that I could take out of retirement for this. I'll probably run both server and client 24/7 on this. I just hope the performance doesn't suffer too much.