Shipping unusual package shapes

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
How do you package unusual shapes for shipping? Specifically, I've got a couple rack mounting rails I'm looking to ship, and no boxes to put them in. Is there a place that most towns have which sells long, thin boxes?

Actually, come to think of it, is there a place that I can just drop random crap off at, give them an address, and let them deal with the packaging?

IaaS

Feb 15, 2015
You could use round or triangle shipping tube-style boxes (free from USPS for priority mail), but for something like rails which are pretty sturdy I'd probably just wrap them in a few sheets of 1/8" foam sheeting and packing tape and then slice up some existing boxes into long strips and wrap 'em all up in a big secure cardboard bundle. No need for a specially sized long skinny box with lots of wasted space inside.

Yeah, a Fedex Office or UPS store or any 3rd-party postal/shipping center will pack/ship the item, but for rails, it'll probably cost more than the rails themselves to have them do it for you :)

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
I'd probably just wrap them in a few sheets of 1/8" foam sheeting and packing tape and then slice up some existing boxes into long strips and wrap 'em all up in a big secure cardboard bundle.
Will FedEx/UPS/USPS/DHL accept bundles like that for shipping? If so, it would certainly solve my issue!

IaaS

Feb 15, 2015
Will FedEx/UPS/USPS/DHL accept bundles like that for shipping? If so, it would certainly solve my issue!
Yeah, it doesn't have to be perfectly box-shaped. For really oddly shaped packages I think there can be surcharges, but that won't apply to a bundle of rails. When ordering individual car tires online for example they usually just slap a UPS shipping label on the outside of the tire and send it as-is, no packing material at all since it's already easy to handle and can't get damaged during shipping.