SFP+ question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SimpleTech

Aug 8, 2016
First, just wanted to give a big thank you to everyone here. I knew very little about networking and server stuff about 3 months ago and now I've set up a more stable and enjoyable network at my home. :)

I just bought a pair of Mellanox ConnectX-2 EN 10GbE (single-port) NICs on eBay. They came with a 3M cable and I was getting about 10 gigabit speeds with Iperf3 from my Windows computer to one of my NAS rigs.

Thing is, I need a longer cable since I plan on using this NIC on my main rig. I looked a transceivers and OM3 cables and I think these will work or are compatible with the 10GbE NIC but need to make sure before I purchase.

Finisar FTLX8572D3BCL-G1 10GBASE-SR SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver

30M LC-LC DUPLEX 10 GIGABIT 50/125 MULTIMODE FIBER OPTIC CABLE OM3 AQUA 10GB

Jerry Renwick

Aug 7, 2014
Since your link of the 10G NIC is a dead link, I am not sure that the Finisar 10G SFP+ is compatible with your NIC. Did the vendor tell you that or somethings else?

Reactions: pc_doom

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
I'm using finistar transceivers in a connectx2 without any issues. I'm not aware of the CX2s having vendor locks on the modules like Intel does.

Reactions: SimpleTech

SimpleTech

Aug 8, 2016
Since your link of the 10G NIC is a dead link, I am not sure that the Finisar 10G SFP+ is compatible with your NIC. Did the vendor tell you that or somethings else?
Here's the correct link: Lot of 2 10GB Mellanox ConnectX-2 SFP+ PCI-e Network Card w/ 3M Cable 671798-001

What about

Mellanox 10GBase-SR/SW SFP+ SR MFM1T02ASR MFM1T02A-SR Transceiver 90 day wa

I mean, if you're going mellanox to mellanox and the mellanox trancievers are $30 I'd just stick with the right brand.

This one even says MCX-2EN 10GBE For Mellanox ConnectX-2 Single-Port SFP+ Network Card MNPA19-XTR transceiv
That's the thing. The cables that came with it are Cisco which makes me believe that it's not locked down like Intel.

I'm using finistar transceivers in a connectx2 without any issues. I'm not aware of the CX2s having vendor locks on the modules like Intel does.
And that basically confirms what I was thinking. :D

OpticalTransceiver

Nov 9, 2016
Here's the correct link: Lot of 2 10GB Mellanox ConnectX-2 SFP+ PCI-e Network Card w/ 3M Cable 671798-001

That's the thing. The cables that came with it are Cisco which makes me believe that it's not locked down like Intel.

And that basically confirms what I was thinking. :D

If a finisar generic transceiver works, I think any generic transceivers works. Because basiclly a Finisar generic transceiver only put the whatever is in MSA. you can find much cheaper ones