SFP+ and SPF28 potential compatibility issues

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

garson

May 12, 2021
Hello everyone.
After reading forum occasionally for quite some time, I created account as I need some help. So this is my first post on forum. :)

Ok, so I am planning to upgrade home network to 10G (not Tbase), and I do not have experience with SFP .
So the plan is to buy Mikrotik CRS305-1G-4S+IN swich, and for my home lab server (based on Supermicro X10DRI board) something based on Mellanox ConnectX-4 LX. I know there are a lot of affordable ConnectX-2 and X-3 cards on ebay, but I was thinking about X-4 as it is newer and probably more future proof.
I found Supermicro AOC-S25G-m2S on ebay with solid price, but it is 25G card, compatible with 10G as well.
As for cables I was thinking about Customised 10G SFP+ DAC cables from fs.com

I know in theory SPF28 is compatible with SFP+, but what are experiences in practice with similar setups?
If this is way to go, should I choose dual compatibility for DAC cable? Mikrotik and Supermicro or Mikrotik and Mellanox?

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
I’m running Mikrotik CRS309(s) and Mellanox MCX4121A-ACAT and the only issue I have found is using the FS.com dual rate transceivers, apparently the Mellanox doesn’t support dual-rate transceivers?!

The switch is not connected in my 25Gb links, they are done directly of course.