SFP+ 10GBASE-T?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
Does this even exist? I've looked around on ebay for it, but can't seem to come across it. Musing about getting some cards, but don't want to run fiber.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
BTW for some reason amazon is much cheaper for the 8 port 10gb Netgear. $760
Amazon.com: NETGEAR ProSAFE XS708E 8-Port 10G Ethernet Switch (XS708E-100NES): Computers & Accessories use 1x uplink to a CRS210 for $185 or a CRS226 for $250 and you'll have:
7x 10Gbase-T, 1x SFP+ connect between the two switches, 1x open SFP+, 24 port 1GbE.

All for about $1000 and 1kW. That's really good IMO since you have 10Gb without running fiber and still get a fiber port.

One other gotcha tho - if you have older Cat 5e in some home settings the runs are way too long to hold 10Gb so you'll re-wire anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
10Gb on copper is fairly picky even on short runs, you'll need to make sure every jack and plug is up to snuff. Most home/very-small-business wiring I've seen start with the cheapest spool, jacks and plugs of whatever was labeled in china as "5e" or "6" and someone inexperienced hand terminated everything. No problem for 1G of course, but rarely up to spec for 10 at useful distances. Though even cheap factory made patches usually work for short stuff at least.

Copper is a dead end, so if you're going to have to rewire or doing new runs: its fiber time. You can even get as high as 40Gb (100m or so) over cheap OM3 LC/LC with cisco transceivers.

FWIW my 12 port 40/56Gbit IB switch was cheaper than that netgear ;) though its loud as hell at the moment.

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
Personally I have only seen external media converters for SFP+ to 10Gig-T like these 10GBASE-T Media Converter | 10G Ethernet | Perle
Probably cheaper to get another NIC if you have a free slot for it, or get a switch on ebay with both SPF+ and copper.
As others have suggested I wouldn't attempt 10Gbase-T across moderate or long distances without high-quality cable and connectors. It does just fine within a few racks however.

Reactions: pc_doom

apnar

Mar 5, 2011
The SFP+ standard doesn't deliver enough power to support a 10Gig-T port so it's unlikely you'll ever see them. I've also heard 10Gig-T had higher latency then fiber/twinax but haven't done testing myself.

Aug 2, 2015
SFP+ is fiber, 10GBASE-T is copper, how SFP+ 10GBASE-T which is both fiber and copper thing exist?
Perhaps it stemmed from understanding of earlier generation of SFP being able to support fiber and copper SFP transceivers? Don't forget the SFP+ Direct Attach Copper is also copper except not in the usual Cat5/6 copper wires and RJ-45 connectors.

SFP or SFP+ did not denote that it's fiber, it's small form-factor pluggable, not something fiber pluggable.

Reactions: ofoptics

ofoptics

Aug 4, 2015
Shenzhen, China
en.ofweek.com
Perhaps it stemmed from understanding of earlier generation of SFP being able to support fiber and copper SFP transceivers? Don't forget the SFP+ Direct Attach Copper is also copper except not in the usual Cat5/6 copper wires and RJ-45 connectors.

SFP or SFP+ did not denote that it's fiber, it's small form-factor pluggable, not something fiber pluggable.
Yeah, you are right. I made a mistake, thank you for correcting me.

Reactions: GuybrushThreepwood

lastpick

Dec 31, 2015
Not exactly the cheapest solution, however this DLINK is the only switch I've found that can do both 10GB-T and 10GB SFP+. This is most likely the switch I'll purchase since I have one of the SuperMicro Xeon-D 1540 boards that only support 10GB-T. As of this posting it can be had for about 1100$ US.

DavidRa

Infrastructure Architect
Aug 3, 2015
Central Coast of NSW
www.pdconsec.net
Not exactly the cheapest solution, however this DLINK is the only switch I've found that can do both 10GB-T and 10GB SFP+. This is most likely the switch I'll purchase since I have one of the SuperMicro Xeon-D 1540 boards that only support 10GB-T. As of this posting it can be had for about 1100$ US.
There are many others. Check the Cheap 1+10Gb Switch thread for options. I picked up a pair of Dell 8024F (20 x SFP+, 4 x SFP+ and 10GbaseT combo) for under USD900 each IIRC, and they're often cheaper in the US.

tby

Aug 22, 2013
Snellville, GA
set-inform.com
Netgear GS728TX / GS752TX are sometimes an eBay bargain with 2 10GbT and 2 SFP+. Dell 6224 / 6448 + x901c module is another option that is sometimes cheap.

In general 10GBase-T switch ports are at such a premium to SFP+ that you'll still come out ahead after buying the cabling and cards.

100TB Cloud

Mar 12, 2016
It looks like they are finally coming out of China. I've yet to put my hands on one but now they appear to be marketing them. I've seen them as being limited to 30M by utilizing less wattage, but hey who cares! This is definitely a game changer if it works. Turns a switch like the LB6M into something quite usable beyond DACs and SFP+ w/fiber.

ProLabs launches 10GBASE-T SFP+ Copper Transceiver

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I requested a quote a few weeks ago in Germany.
it did not ordered as the tranceiver was as expensive as the cheapest 10G switches with SFP+ and 10Gbase -T.

Hope for prices to come down

Jerry Renwick

Aug 7, 2014
I don't understand, either. Why not using the fiber for 10G links? Fiber is obviously equipped with higher performance. But according to your situation, you can use the SFP+ DAC cables, which is more cost-effective solutions for 10G connectivity.

Reactions: pc_doom

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
Yes, but: rare as rocking horse shit and if you have to ask the price you can't afford it!

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
We use some SFP+ DAC cables to connect servers to switches. Nominal initial cost was a bit better than fiber (2x SFP+ modules + single mode jumper) and was chosen because of that. Flash foward 3yrs and when gear is swapped out and I need a 5M DAC cable instead of a 3M cable, now I need to buy a new cable which ends up being more expensive than if we just would have spent the $5 extra initially to get SFP+ modules instead. Add in the girth issues with the DAC cables...image the hole requirements for 30 DAC cables vs 30 fiber cables.

Small scale where you are only gonna ever need 4 or less cables, I'd consider DAC but anything over that and I would rather just get the SFP+ modules and save myself the headache.

aero

Apr 27, 2016
We use some SFP+ DAC cables to connect servers to switches. Nominal initial cost was a bit better than fiber (2x SFP+ modules + single mode jumper) and was chosen because of that. Flash foward 3yrs and when gear is swapped out and I need a 5M DAC cable instead of a 3M cable, now I need to buy a new cable which ends up being more expensive than if we just would have spent the $5 extra initially to get SFP+ modules instead. Add in the girth issues with the DAC cables...image the hole requirements for 30 DAC cables vs 30 fiber cables.

Small scale where you are only gonna ever need 4 or less cables, I'd consider DAC but anything over that and I would rather just get the SFP+ modules and save myself the headache.
I concur that running twinax between racks is not desirable. If you know that you will only ever be using them within the same rack for servers to connect to ToR switches then it makes sense.