SFP+ 10gbase-T on turbocharged quanta lb6m

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Corsaire

Feb 3, 2018
Hello everyone,

Prices for SFP+ 10gbase-T have rapidly dropped along the course of 2-3 years.
Nowadays (november 2019) you can get on sites like fs.com a generic but programmed SFP for your equipment brand for less than 60 dollars.

Yes, I know, lots of you would say "base-t is crap, go for the fiber !", except it's not always possible.

Nowadays quite a lot of consumer equipments start to have a 10g network port embedded, and guess what it's rj45 (base-t).
I think about PC motherboards, NAS, routers, ...

So the question is simple, has any of you tried such generic base-t 10g SFP and what are your experience with it ?

altmind

Sep 23, 2018
well, i have little voice in this, for our installations are quite small.

for us, the update to cat6 is more expensive than an upgrade to pre-terminated single mode fiber runs.

its great that 10gbase-t is now $60, but the fiber is even cheaper.

and what benefits copper ethernet have to offer? ability to terminate the fiber runs yourself? the EMI requirements for 10g are so high, that i wonder if is even doable by an average technician.

altmind

Sep 23, 2018
fiber benefits:
* 10g fiber is the long past, there components are dirt cheap
* no cross-talk, no interferrence, you can be a total dum-dum in these topics and still be quite successful.
* longer runs
* no electricity on the wires = less certifications to get
* less heat in the switches/cards
* you can still use copper with sfp DAC and use the same ports much cheaper, with lower latency, albeit with shorter reach

copper benefits:
* PoE
* people are familiar with these cables?

Corsaire

Feb 3, 2018
As I said, no debate about fiber being better than copper here please !

Just the facts about your experience on using 10G base-T SFP