SFF Build for Xenserver

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Looking to build a SFF box for some VMs.

Ideally would like to have a Mini-ITX board that has VT support, ECC memory support, and IPMI.

Anyone know of such a board?

I have seen this Intel board, but I cannot confirm if it supports VT...which is the main feature. http://click.project-kb.com/?url=ht...-motherboards/server-board-s1200kp.html?&id=1

It is C206 Based, so I would assume with the right processor, that Virtualization would be supported, but it would be nice to know ahead of time.

IPMI on SM boards is really convienent, can you add this to other boards with a used Dell DRAC or HP iLo card? Other Options?

Also soliciting feedback on ITX cases.

Last edited:

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
C206 why not use vPro and a e3-12x5 v2?

ITX case depends on how many drives you want.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Ahhh...stupid Intel!

Really wanted to use ECC memory...I already have 4x 8gb modules i can use.

Last edited:

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
The intel S1200KP is a very nice board but sdoes not support VT-d. I have jsut written a lengthy email to Intel at the request of my account manager highlighting why they are morons for disabling this feature and basically locking themselves out of the full featured mITX ESXi mini-virtualisation server market when they could have been the only serious players. The S1200KPR (latest revision) supports Ivy Bridge E3s (E-12XX v2) out of the box whilst the older boards need flashing with a sSandy Bridge CPU before they will work with the Ivy Bridge units. Ivy Bridge cpus enable PCIe 3.0 on the PCIe slot.

The Intel Q67EP is also a nice board and has VT-d but no ECC. It also has a full PCIe 2.0 x16 slot where the Q77 only has a PCIe x4.

Note, VT-x (Virtualisation extentions) are supported (or not) by the CPU and VT-d (Virtual directed IO for passing a supported controller chipset control directly to a VM) requires CPU & motherboard support.

I have been writing an article on this very subject for Patrick for, err, sometime. I am just waiting for something to fall in to place before passing it for publication. Hopefully it will be fairly soon.

RB

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Just wanted to post an update on what I have figured out and where I am headed with this project.

Looking to pull the trigger on two of the Intel S1200KPR. Supports VT-x, ECC, and has vPro...which is almost as good as IPMI2.0. I already have the 4x8GB ECC modules that are going to go in them.

Still trying to decide on Cases though. Are there any ITX cases that do no use a power brick? I already have too many of those and would prefer a standard PC Power cord to the back of the case.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Yea looking for something thinner. I don't really have a need for anything internally like GPUs, Big HSFs, etc.
Going for small and small :)