SFF-8087 cables too short; options?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

HorizonXP

May 23, 2016
So I just bought a SuperMicro CSE-846 with a SAS846TQ backplane. It came pre-installed with 5 CBL-0278L SFF-8087 forward breakout SATA cables with sideband connector, and 1 CBL-0288L SFF-8087 forward breakout SATA cable with sideband connector.

I'm guessing that it was designed to connect to a RAID card with the SFF-8087 ports on the rear of the card, since they're too short to reach the vertically mounted SFF-8087 ports on the IBM M1015 I just picked up.

For now, I've removed the top of the chassis and directly connected one of the cables so that I can get some tests done on the HDDs that I bought. But I need a better solution.

Do I just buy new cables? Which ones? Or can I get an extension?

Help appreciated!

sth

Oct 29, 2015
either
a) buy a HBA with rear facing ports
b) buy new cables

b is likely cheaper :)

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
How close are the cables to reaching the top ports? I'd just pickup a used H310 flash with IT firmware and sell the m1015. 5 new 8087 breakout cables will cost more than a sideways swap from one HBA to another. Plus, I think the HBA's typically look wired more cleanly when the 8087 ports are on the front of the card vs. vertically oriented.

HorizonXP

May 23, 2016
How close are the cables to reaching the top ports? I'd just pickup a used H310 flash with IT firmware and sell the m1015. 5 new 8087 breakout cables will cost more than a sideways swap from one HBA to another. Plus, I think the HBA's typically look wired more cleanly when the 8087 ports are on the front of the card vs. vertically oriented.
That's a great suggestion, I think that's what I'm going to do. I already picked up 2 M1015s, but I figure I can probably sell them back on eBay for about $60 USD and recoup most of my costs.

Getting a set of cables would have been slightly cheaper, but I wouldn't be able to resell the old cables that easily, and the new cables wouldn't fit as nicely.

Thanks!