Seting up Hyper M.2 X16 expansion card

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Garciamk4

Apr 3, 2021
Intel I7 9700k
Msi Z390 A motherboard
32GB Ram
RTX 2080 GPU

Friend of mines is trying to find out how to enable the Hyper M.2 X16 expansion card through the BIOS to recognize all four NvMe ssd's installed within the expansion card.

I know it's somewhere in the Bios advanced settings but I'm not very familiar with MSI Bios platform I don't know how to guide him through it if anyone here can help us that would be so greatly appreciated.

Also he does have 4 NvMe SSD in the expansion card and I was wondering if the motherboard and CPU combo above will support all NvMe drives installed within the expansion card, the Expansion card is placed on the second PCIe Express port furthest from the CPU

If anyone can provide us with easy to follow step by step instructions on where to enable the card and properly configure it within the MSI Bios we would greatly appreciated.

Sogndal94

Senior IT Operations Engineer
Nov 7, 2016
Norway
Have you checked that the motherboard supports pcie bifurcation?
And i dont think you have enough PCI-e Lanes for this setup?

UhClem

just another Bozo on the bus
Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
Intel I7 9700k
Msi Z390 A motherboard
Friend of mines is trying to find out how to enable the Hyper M.2 X16 expansion card through the BIOS to recognize all four NvMe ssd's installed within the expansion card.
You will never get all four recognized (the CPU doesn't support it). But IFF the BIOS supports configuring PCIe slot_1 as x8x4x4, you can get 3 of them. Or, if x8x8, you can get 2.

Garciamk4

Apr 3, 2021
Thanks for the info guys.....I was looking more in dept on that specific motherboard and it turns out that board does not support PCIe Bifurcation and after downloading the PDF manual for my friends Hyper M.2 X16 expansion card, the MSI board is not even listed.

Although, I did get him to purchase the Asus Z390P wich indeed supports the Hyper M.2 expansion card, but as mentioned above will only see 3, now it only specifies 3 (Intel M.2 SSD) does this mean the Hyper M.2 wont support the Samsung 970 evo and only Intel.

Attachments

Last edited:

Garciamk4

Apr 3, 2021
So once the Asus Prime Z390 P Board arrives Do I just go into the Bios do I just go to

Advanve/Onboard Device Configuration/ PCIe Bandwith Bifurcation Configuration and switch it from (Auto) to (PCIe Raid) and It will automatically pick up the (Hyper M.2 C16 V2 Card) and the (3 Samsung Evo Ssd's) inside it or is this only on (Z490 Boards)

Or would I have to go further in installing (IRST) for (VROC) Support, (and if so ) (How) and would I have to purchase (3 Intel M.2 Ssd's) and Return the samsung Nvme NvMe Ssd's?

I'm so confused?

Last edited:

Garciamk4

Apr 3, 2021
So theres no need for IRST Drivers to be installed to support VROC and no need to use Intel Spesific SSd's.

Just simply enable the Hyper M.2 x16 v2 card via Bios with the 3 Samsung 970 Evo and leave Slot 2 Vacant and the OS will detect the 3 drives on the Expansion card including the one on the board.

Last edited: