Servers calling home for help

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
So it's 2am here and IBM engineer calls me to tell me we have a power supply failure on one of my servers. Pretty much just calls me to tell me that and ask if he can replace it later in the morning, if your not going to replace it at 2am why both calling me, just call me at a decent hour when you have the replacement parts ready (ok with and hour or 2 ahead so can get his DC clearance arranged)

Why do servers never have errors and call home in working hours... Just about never happens.

Mental note to self, must change the system to log the call as somebody else other than me :D

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
They have to have a record of at least attempting to contact someone within X hours of the problem being reported - can't have customers complaining that their '4-hour response time' service contracts weren't met. I just don't answer my phone at those hours and listen to the voicemail in the morning.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Normally the same, just forgot to put my phone on silent before sleeping. Silly me.