Serveraid M5110 firmware update in non IBM system

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

michebosca

Sep 26, 2016
Hi everyone, new to the forum and just got an M5110 board with serveraid firmware, read many articles but didn't find answers unfortunatly. The main point is..
How to update firmware in a system that is not an IBM server? While trying to update it, there is a control of the system in which the M5110 is installed, so there is no way to update it.

Second point is about firmware crossflashing: is there any problem on upgrading it to 9266-8i firmware through the MegaRAID Storage Manager? In the firmware package there are other files: TFM_70*.ROM and TMMB_70*.ROM.. what are them for? Will I lose JBOD capability moving to an LSI firmware?

Thank you so much,

Michele

Rhinox

May 27, 2013
Instead of IBM-tools use those downloaded from LSI/Avago-web. I'm updating my M5016 on non-IBM system without any problem...

michebosca

Sep 26, 2016
Sorry, I don't undestand.. Let's take the M5016 example.. You can download (Critical update)ServeRAID M5016 SAS/SATA controller firmware update v23.16.0-0027 for Microsoft Windows - IBM System x which is an EXE file. Once executed, you are reported that the system is unsupported.
Maybe you meant the use of LSI firmware instead of IBM one? Can it be directly applied or does it need others operations before as described in How to Flash IBM ServeRAID M5014 to LSI 9260-8i Firmware ?
Thank you,

Michele

frenchyaz

Mar 4, 2011
Just download the EXE, then use 7zip or similar to extract it (you'll get an error but that's ok). Go inside the directory called Image where the firmware is located. From here, use the MSM gui to update the firmware and point the software to the Image directory and select the firmware file. Enjoy your new firmware.