ServeRAID M5014 renaming

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rowan @ Jetboy

Oct 30, 2014
I've just picked up a pair of IBM ServeRAID M5014s and BBU08 batteries. The intent is to use one in the Asus P6TSE board on my workstation, and the other in the ASRock H97M Pro4 which I'm building an ESXi server around.

So, using the instructions on ServeTheHome, the files from LaptopVideo2Go (as the ServeTheHome link's dead), and the latest Oct 21 2014 9260-8i firmware from LSI I've flashed the SBR and firmware to LSI MegaRAID 9260-8i spec:

megarec -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin
megarec -writesbr 0 sbr9260.bin (as there's no sbrlsi.bin in the LaptopVideo2Go files)
megarec -cleanflash 0
[reboot]
megarec -m0flash 0 mr2108fw.rom (the firmware from LSI)
[reboot]

Storage Manager is showing that the firmware flash has worked. The problem I'm having is that the card is still being identified as an M5014 (in WebBIOS and Storage Manager). I've tried doing the SBR flash after the firmware, as suggested on another thread here, but get the same result. Can anyone help me out?

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Storage Manager is showing that the firmware flash has worked. The problem I'm having is that the card is still being identified as an M5014 (in WebBIOS and Storage Manager). I've tried doing the SBR flash after the firmware, as suggested on another thread here, but get the same result. Can anyone help me out?
Is that an issue? I thought that the manufacturer information was hard coded.

Rowan @ Jetboy

Oct 30, 2014
It negatively impacts boot up time, that's for sure. Adds at least an extra minute. From what I can see, earlier firmwares allow you to change the SBR, thus get a fast boot and an LSI branded card. Later ones seem to rename the card back to a ServeRAID, undoing any gains.

Triggerhappy

Nov 18, 2012
Did you manage to get this resolved? I just encountered the same issue. I'll try reflashing an older non-IBM firmware

Rowan @ Jetboy

Oct 30, 2014
Kind of. It's only a problem with the latest Oct 21 release. All (and I checked about half of them, so it's a fair assumption) of the LSI firmwares up to this one allow renaming. I've settled for the last of these, 2.130.403-3066, which was released on May 9, 2014.

Find Support by Product Results

Triggerhappy

Nov 18, 2012
I ended up flashing the 124 from the ones already available on my livecd and that worked as well. good to know I can upgrade beyond that. Thanks.