Server won't power on, but BMC is normal

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JiPtheChip

Jun 5, 2019
I'm building a server with a SuperMicro X11SCL-F O, Intel Xeon E-2186G, 2 16 GB sticks of 2400 MHz ECC RAM, and an 80 plus gold certified 650 Watt PSU.

As the title says, however, the system won't power on. The fans don't spin and the power led on my motherboard doesn't light up at all. However, when my power supply is connected to an outlet, the BMC heartbeat LED on my MB is solid green for about 30 seconds, and then starts blinking green. My motherboard's manual says that blinking green means that BMC is normal, but I'm not sure what that means.

Also, after disconnecting the 24 pin power connector from my motherboard, I noticed the plastic around one of the connector's pin holes was partially melted. I also checked the CPU power connector, but thankfully it was perfectly fine. Here’s what the melted cable looks like: 75-D1137-A-2-BF8-47-A2-82-F3-D8015253-B706

Could this be a PSU issue? MB issue? What should I try next?

EDIT: Discovered that the power supply I had was busted. I tried another power supply and it booted and posted :)

Last edited:

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
On the face of it, a PSU issue, especially given the state of that cable. It might be able to provide enough voltage to fire up the BMC but not enough to power on the system.

Does the BMC actually work?

JiPtheChip

Jun 5, 2019
On the face of it, a PSU issue, especially given the state of that cable. It might be able to provide enough voltage to fire up the BMC but not enough to power on the system.

Does the BMC actually work?
I'm not sure if the BMC actually works because I'm not entirely sure what it is or how to use it, but according to what my motherboard's BMC LED is saying, it's operating normally.

I hope what you're saying is true, because it would be much better to have a broken PSU than a broken motherboard. I'll test the build with a power supply that I know works, and then I'll have my answer.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
BMC is an on-motherboard mini-computer that can be used to control functions that you normally can't touch from within the OS - it'll usually give you funky stuff like being able to see the screen via the IPMI web interface without needing to hook up a monitor, that sort of thing.

If the BMC is working and the settings haven't been changed, if you plug in a network cable to the IPMI NIC it'll try and grab an address via DHCP - so plug it into a network with a DHCP server and monitor the logs to see if you can see it pick up and IP address. If it succeeds, you can try connecting to it via ssh or a web browser.