Server to server cable and NIC for low cost max speed

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rock

Jan 28, 2020
Northern California
What are the thru-put limits of your storage drives?

Mellanox ConnectX-3 40Gbps QSFP+ cards are available pretty reasonably on ebay or this forum and can use fiber or direct connect copper transceivers.

For MultiMode Fiber cable I think you need a crossover if you are not using a switch.

Last edited:

mshook

Jun 9, 2020
MDI-X has pretty much solved the cross-cable thing for years now: most proper interfaces do the right thing when it comes to connecting 2 computers directly with a straight cable. AFAIK it's the same thing with SFP+.

As for cheap cards, you can 10Gb interfaces for something like $15 to $40 on ebay...

Last edited:

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
You can get 2x 40GbE cards + DAC for under $70 shipped. Just a few months ago you could have got the same kit for under $30.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
Get Mellanox ConnectX-3 CX354A. It is cheaper to get OEM variant like this HP 544QSFP and then flash it to retail MCX354A-FCBT to get 40/56GbE.

Passive 40Gb DAC can be found for as little as $5 sometimes. Or you can spend a bit more and get a Mellanox branded 56Gb/FDR14 capable cable instead

Last edited:
I ordered used Mellanox MCX354A-FCBT and Mellanox MC2207130-002 cards and cables of ebay.

One of the servers I'm moving data from is Unraid, and I read that Unraid does not support infiniband, so I need to run the cards in ethernet mode.
See: Mellanox ConnectX-3 support

I've never ran any infiniband equipment before, is there a difference in link speed if the card is set to run in ethernet mode?