Server suggestions for virtual workstation

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MJFlanigan

Aug 7, 2021
I am learning to code and getting into data science and have been looking into building a powerful workstation or server like this: Deep Learning Workstations, Servers, Laptops for 2021 | Lambda

The main thing I'd like to do with a setup like this is to be able to not only run simulations but also run multiple machines or at least virtual machines for my house and also run high end programs with the hardware.

As I've been doing some research I've also seen things like the storinator (Storinator™ S45 - The Standard Direct-Wired Pod) and wondered if with a solution like that if I could use it to storage and edit video off of it but also record and analyze and playback security camera footage for my house. I know there are solutions for this, but I prefer less hardware and don't know how to start.

I'd media server and nas functionality as well.

Ideally I'd like to build one server that does this all but have no idea how to do that or where to start, but would love any direction anyone has or suggestions.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Some requirements in terms of processing power, memory, GPU(s), storage, etc would help. Budget too. We kinda need that to provide suggestions.

MJFlanigan

Aug 7, 2021
Super helpful. I think I'll build a powerful workstation with threadripper or eypc hopefully with two cpus and then get something like synonolgy for a nas. Then I'll just virtualize a bunch of stuff when needed which might need to be done in the cloud.

I'ld shoot for around 12-15K for this. I'd like around 64 cores, 120tbs, gpus would have to support machine learning like cuda from nvidia, and memory would be at least a 1gig.