Server Rack Suggestions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Zack Hehmann

Feb 6, 2016
Hello all,

I was looking to get a server rack for the house. I'm putting it in the closet in my office. Unfortunately my closet door is only 23.5 inches wide. Most of all the racks I have looked at are wider than that. I originally was going to build one out of wood and purchase 4 of the 24U square racks rails to mount inside of my enclosure. Those were hard to find and were pretty $$ for what I was getting.

Unfortunately for me, Tulsa is not the best place for locating server equipment on Craigslist. I kept searching for options and finally decided on purchasing a rack that I can assemble in the closet. I stumbled across the 25U Adjustable Depth Open Frame 4 Post Server Rack w/ Casters / Levelers and Cable Management Hooks. It was originally $192 + $40 shipping at Provantage, but it looks like the price went up to $260.29 shipped... I figured Provantage would be better than buying at Newegg or Amazon because the shipping service might be better. I figured if it's freight I could refuse the shipment if it's damaged. I don't think the vendors add additional packing to the box and is more likely drop shipped. I don't think the box the manufacturer puts the rack in is very durable and is not meant to be shipped.

Since the price at provantage has increased I've considered purchasing it on Amazon. They have an open box that has Prime shipping. Has anyone bought an open box server rack from Amazon like this? Amazon's price is $229.52 which seems pretty good. My only concern is if the rack is damaged and I have to send it back how difficult will that be? What's your thoughts?

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Amazon is the best when it comes to returning damaged good. I've had a couple of large items show up damaged and it only took one email to have the shipper pick it back up and get another one on the way, zero cost to me. One item was a bed frame with the box mangled and parts obviously lost along the way and the other was a damaged TV.

Zack Hehmann

Feb 6, 2016
So what do you guys think about the rack? I know some of you own it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Startech makes good stuff but I think it's a little pricey for what it is. But given your situation, it's probably the best there is.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
Amazon is the best when it comes to returning damaged good. I've had a couple of large items show up damaged and it only took one email to have the shipper pick it back up and get another one on the way, zero cost to me. One item was a bed frame with the box mangled and parts obviously lost along the way and the other was a damaged TV.
I've had the same positive experience with Amazon ... had a TV console/low boy and a damaged TV returned (years apart) with no issue. UPS came and picked it up, easy peasy. The hardest thing was getting the items back into the box from whence they came damaged.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
I have one of the 25U Startech racks that I use for staging and it works great for what it is.

Other options to look at.

Getting under 24" is going to be hard. I remove the door. tear the frame out and install a larger door... But that's just me.

27U 4 Post Open Frame Server Rack 19" 22" Deep With 3 pairs of L Rails

items in store on eBay!

NavePoint 22U IT Wall Mount Network Server Data Cabinet Rack Glass Door Locking Casters
The first and third link are both for racks about 22" deep. If @Zack Hehmann is only looking to mount networking gear and short depth servers they'd be great, but if he wants full depth servers he'll need to go for something deeper. The ebay store you linked has lots of deeper options though.

Hopefully the closet is large enough inside for a sufficiently deep rack and some room to get around to the back of it.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
That seller: raisingelectronics, has anyone bought from them before?
Their prices seem reasonable and their racks look sturdier and better suited for rails than norco/startech alternatives, if not quite as nice as say tripplite.
Based on the linked racks load capacity of 500 lbs I'd say it's likely not as sturdy as the OP's linked Startech with 1200lbs. Also as I mentioned before the linked rack is only 22" deep which is not good for servers. The seller does have some other racks with higher weight capacity and depth.

Either way with budget minded open frame racks there aren't a lot of features to compare between brands. You just want the rack to be to spec and not end up moving around when you load it up.

Reactions: Zack Hehmann

Zack Hehmann

Feb 6, 2016
I ordered the one from Amazon warehouse deals. I will let you guys know how it goes.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk