Server not recognizing SSD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

broyuken

Apr 11, 2022
Hey all,

I have a server that I purchased from here

It is a SuperMicro 230900-1U-X9DRI-LN4F+1.1-4BLTQ-1PS

The BIOS shows up as Supermicro x9DRi-LN4+/X9DR3-LN4+

I recently picked up a Samsung 870 EVO 4TB SSD to pop in it for my esxi server, however the server does not seem to be able to see it. I looked all over in the BIOS but I'm not sure what I need to change to get it to show up. I know the SATA connectors are good, because I put a spinning disk drive in there and it works, and I know the SSD is good because I put it in my desktop and it works. The firmware on the server is 3.4 which I believe is the most recent.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
-Brian

broyuken

Apr 11, 2022
So I popped the top off the server and took a look and figured it out. Turns out, the ssd needs to actually be plugged into the sata ports in the server. Who knew? I was just using a normal ssd tray and the ports did not match up to where the servers are. I grabbed one of these and that should line the ports up nicely so it works. I kinda slid the drive in for testing into the ports without a tray and it shows up in the bios now.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
So I popped the top off the server and took a look and figured it out. Turns out, the ssd needs to actually be plugged into the sata ports in the server. Who knew? I was just using a normal ssd tray and the ports did not match up to where the servers are. I grabbed one of these and that should line the ports up nicely so it works. I kinda slid the drive in for testing into the ports without a tray and it shows up in the bios now.

Supermicro makes SSD trays to position the drive correctly in their servers, they don't have anything electronics on them.