Server Core: Finally a reason to learn powershell

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
Is there something new about server core that I haven't seen yet? Trying to google recent news on the topic is just giving me lots of results about nano server.

At least on server core 2012 R2 which I have put some time into, it is still very far from a "linux-ification" of windows. Nano-server looks like it might be what imho server core should have been years ago, but at the same time I'm kind of expecting it to suck just like server core did on its first release.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
I suspect it is nano-server that you are thinking about then, not server core. And I have a feeling that once it is actually released and people start running into all of its limitations/restrictions that it won't get very much use. There's just going to be too much it can't do, and too many "admins" that can't use it without a GUI. It'll see a bit of usage as the platform running HyperV clusters/clouds and thats about it. By the next windows release they'll have added enough functionality back into it to make it usable in more scenarios.