Server boxes for shipping...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

El Chorizo

Jul 29, 2017
Long time reader first time poster here. I figure some of you guys have some server boxes (just cardboard boxes) for shipping 1U and 2U servers, styrofoam, etc... there are places that sell them but they want an arm and a leg. Willing to pay a decent price to have them shipped to me, only need a couple.

If anyone has them from deployments, etc... let me know. Specifically Super Micro 2U units would be perfect.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
i don't have the official boxes from Supermicro, but I do have some boxes that were used to ship some Supermicro 825 and 846 chassis to me.

El Chorizo

Jul 29, 2017
i don't have the official boxes from Supermicro, but I do have some boxes that were used to ship some Supermicro 825 and 846 chassis to me.
I don't need official boxes just as long as they work and keep the servers safe.... beggars can't be choosers.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I don't need official boxes just as long as they work and keep the servers safe.... beggars can't be choosers.
Just to note - the packaging material that Supermicro uses on empty chassis (at least for the many SC836B I've purchased) has large print warning against shipping complete servers in that packaging. I would probably ship drives / CPU heatsinks / memory separately, as the first can be damaged, the second can place strain on the motherboard (at least for heavy heatsinks that don't screw into the chassis itself) and memory can pop out and start rattling around.

Last edited:

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I'm looking for a couple of boxes as well. 2U, 3U and 4U - One each. Anyone have these taking up space and willing to ship?

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I'm looking for a couple of boxes as well. 2U, 3U and 4U - One each. Anyone have these taking up space and willing to ship?
I had some and offered it to the OP, but then found out due to the dimensions, they would cost something like $80-$120 to ship, even though they only weighed like 20lbs or so. It just wasn't worth it unless you find someone local where you can pick up the boxes yourself.

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
Yes, unfortunately it's not worth shipping shippers to anyone since they hit you for "dimensional weight" by volume - you might as well send a server with it. The best you could probably do is send two of the older style Supermicro sets of server end foam inserts in one box (newer ones are top and bottom, so you probably can't get 2 in 1), with a second box carefully slid inside, that would get you to 2 boxes for one box worth of shipping $.

It's a shame that colos make you dispose of your shippers immediately due to potential fire hazard, probably 95%+ of all server shippers have been recycled / disposed of.