Server 2019 Datacenter: Tiered storage: Failed to create virtual disk - Not Supported

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MrMrRubic

Jun 20, 2021
Trying to make a tiered virtual disk, but it keeps failing. two-way mirror, fixed provisioning, full size of both tiers. In gui it fail with this message: 1625588056110.png
While in Powershell with this script:
Code:
#Variables
$StoragePoolName = "General Storage"
$TieredSpaceName = "General Tier"
$ResiliencySetting = "Mirror"
$SSDTierName = "SSDTier"
$HDDTierName = "HDDTier"

#List all disks that can be pooled and output in table format (format-table)
Get-PhysicalDisk -CanPool $True | ft FriendlyName,OperationalStatus,Size,MediaType

#Store all physical disks that can be pooled into a variable, $PhysicalDisks
$PhysicalDisks = (Get-PhysicalDisk -CanPool $True | Where MediaType -NE UnSpecified)       

#Create a new Storage Pool using the disks in variable $PhysicalDisks with a name of My Storage Pool
$SubSysName = (Get-StorageSubSystem).FriendlyName
New-StoragePool -PhysicalDisks $PhysicalDisks -StorageSubSystemFriendlyName $SubSysName -FriendlyName $StoragePoolName

#View the disks in the Storage Pool just created
Get-StoragePool -FriendlyName $StoragePoolName | Get-PhysicalDisk | Select FriendlyName, MediaType

#Create two tiers in the Storage Pool created. One for SSD disks and one for HDD disks
$SSDTier = New-StorageTier -StoragePoolFriendlyName $StoragePoolName -FriendlyName $SSDTierName -MediaType SSD
$HDDTier = New-StorageTier -StoragePoolFriendlyName $StoragePoolName -FriendlyName $HDDTierName -MediaType HDD

#Identify tier sizes within this storage pool
$SSDTierSizes = (Get-StorageTierSupportedSize -FriendlyName $SSDTierName -ResiliencySettingName $ResiliencySetting).TierSizeMax
$HDDTierSizes = (Get-StorageTierSupportedSize -FriendlyName $HDDTierName -ResiliencySettingName $ResiliencySetting).TierSizeMax

#Create a new virtual disk in the pool with a name of TieredSpace using the SSD and HDD tier
New-VirtualDisk -StoragePoolFriendlyName $StoragePoolName -FriendlyName $TieredSpaceName -StorageTiers $SSDTier, $HDDTier -StorageTierSizes $SSDTierSizes, $HDDTierSizes -ResiliencySettingName $ResiliencySetting  -AutoWriteCacheSize -NumberOfColumns 10 -FaultDomainAwareness PhysicalDisk -NumberOfDataCopies 2

#Alternatively try adjusting the sizes manually:
#New-VirtualDisk -StoragePoolFriendlyName $StoragePoolName -FriendlyName $TieredSpaceName -StorageTiers @($SSDTier,$HDDTier) -StorageTierSizes @(228GB,1.816TB) -ResiliencySettingName $ResiliencySetting -AutoWriteCacheSize -AutoNumberOfColumns
I get this output:
Code:
PS C:\Users\administrator.MRMRRUBIC> C:\Users\administrator.MRMRRUBIC\Documents\CreateTieredStorage.ps1

FriendlyName             OperationalStatus          Size MediaType
------------             -----------------          ---- ---------
HITACHI HUSRL401  NEO100 OK                 100030242816 SSD     
ATA HGST HUS724030AL     OK                3000592982016 HDD     
ATA Hitachi HUA72303     OK                3000592982016 HDD     
SEAGATE ST2000NM NEO2000 OK                2000398934016 HDD     

FriendlyName    OperationalStatus HealthStatus IsPrimordial IsReadOnly     Size AllocatedSize
------------    ----------------- ------------ ------------ ----------     ---- -------------
General Storage OK                Healthy      False        False      13.28 TB       2.75 GB

FriendlyName : HITACHI HUSRL401  NEO100
MediaType    : SSD

FriendlyName : ATA HGST HUS724030AL
MediaType    : HDD

FriendlyName : ATA Hitachi HUA72303

FriendlyName : SEAGATE ST2000NM NEO2000

New-VirtualDisk : Not Supported

Extended information:
The storage pool does not have sufficient eligible resources for the creation of the specified virtual disk.

Recommended Actions:
- Choose a combination of FaultDomainAwareness and NumberOfDataCopies (or PhysicalDiskRedundancy) supported by the storage pool.
- Choose a value for NumberOfColumns that is less than or equal to the number of physical disks in the storage fault domain selected for the virtual disk.

Activity ID: {e145f4ca-34d1-48f1-ae83-279c2a325b87}
At C:\Users\administrator.MRMRRUBIC\Documents\CreateTieredStorage.ps1:30 char:1
+ New-VirtualDisk -StoragePoolFriendlyName $StoragePoolName -FriendlyNa ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (StorageWMI:ROOT/Microsoft/...SFT_StoragePool) [New-VirtualDisk], CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : StorageWMI 1,New-VirtualDisk

PS C:\Users\administrator.MRMRRUBIC>
Any ideas what this might be?

MrMrRubic

Jun 20, 2021
I count 6 ssd and 5 HDD, but you are trying to set columns =10. I that requires 10 of each type of drive. For 2 way mirror with that number of drives I believe you are limited to 3 columns.
See here:
The 5th HDD (Hitachi HUSLR401) was a stray drive that wasn't supposed to be in the pool, but i get the same after removing it, and setting columns to 10. will try 3 columns.

MrMrRubic

Jun 20, 2021
New-VirtualDisk -StoragePoolFriendlyName $StoragePoolName -FriendlyName $TieredSpaceName -StorageTiers @($SSDTier,$HDDTier) -StorageTierSizes @(20GB,100gb) -ResiliencySettingName $ResiliencySetting -AutoWriteCacheSize -NumberOfColumns 3 -FaultDomainAwareness PhysicalDisk -PhysicalDiskRedundancy 1
That is the command i currently use, same variables as above. # columns didn't work.

MrMrRubic

Jun 20, 2021
Code:
PS C:\Users\administrator.MRMRRUBIC> Get-StorageTier

FriendlyName TierClass MediaType ResiliencySettingName FaultDomainRedundancy Size FootprintOnPool StorageEfficiency
------------ --------- --------- --------------------- --------------------- ---- --------------- -----------------
HDDTier      Unknown   HDD       Mirror                1                     0 B             0 B                   
SSDTier      Unknown   SSD       Mirror                1                     0 B             0 B
Seems like it's ()TierSizeMax that fails, and thus there is not enough resources to make a vdisk

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
Try 1 or 2 columns. It can't be the size when trying 20 gb drives.
I also had a ton of trouble creating/getting tiers to work w 2016; and eventually gave up and did manual tiering. I just found it too inflexible and couldn't see a real benefit.

MrMrRubic

Jun 20, 2021
tried GUI with 10 and 100gb which worked, but extend failed. i doubt any kind of columns will do anything..

MrMrRubic

Jun 20, 2021
Try 1 or 2 columns. It can't be the size when trying 20 gb drives.
I also had a ton of trouble creating/getting tiers to work w 2016; and eventually gave up and did manual tiering. I just found it too inflexible and couldn't see a real benefit.
same error with 1 and 2 columns. Manual tiering?

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
same error with 1 and 2 columns. Manual tiering?
Manual tiering=put the ssd stuff on ssd space, and the bulk stuff on hdd space.
Other idea I have is that it may be getting confused by the greater numbers of SSD than HDD.

MrMrRubic

Jun 20, 2021
Manual tiering=put the ssd stuff on ssd space, and the bulk stuff on hdd space.
Other idea I have is that it may be getting confused by the greater numbers of SSD than HDD.
Tried same number of ssd/hdd AutoNumberOfColumns, same error.

MrMrRubic

Jun 20, 2021
Allright: i made a Server 2012R2 Win2Go drive, booted into that, and made the vDisk without problem, so this have to be a server 2019 issue.