Server 2016 Storage Spaces vs Raid 5 Software RAID on VMWare

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cgtechuk

Dec 27, 2016
Hi All,

I am already impressed with FreeNAS performance even as a VM on my esxi host running some disks off a Passed Through LSI 9211-8 Card but I thought I would take a look and see what Windows offers to do an experiment.

Now I have heard of Storage Spaces before but I am not sure about it, I cant use the LSI card as its passed through and dedicated to the FreeNAS VM. So I have 5 small hard drives on the Motherboards SATA controller. I have a datastore on each now:

What is the better use scenario here? I created virtual disks on VMWare, one on each drive and attached them to a Windows Server 2016 VM and created a storage pool and the write performance is awful like 20MB/s vs FreeNAS 100MB/s + there is also the option of creating the 5 drives in a Software RAID 5 option instead on the server using the ReFS file system and the standard Windows Disk Management tool. Which is better and preferred using the storage pools or the software Raid 5? Am I right in thinking that Storage Pools are just multiple copies of the same data spread over disks to provide parity?

Using the Raid 5 Option appears to still be "ReSynching" is this going to take a long time?

The important thing to remember here is that this is a VM with 5 attached virtual disks but I am looking for advice on whether to use Storage Spaces or stick with Software Raid 5?

Thanks