Server 2012 R2 in the year 2020

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MrGlasspoole

Jan 17, 2020
I have Windows 8.1 with StableBit DrivePool running but i need Access Based Enumeration and want to switch to Windows Server.

I'm not a fan of the update procedure of the new Windows OS's and other stuff that comes with them.

Is 2012 R2 still something you would use if you don't need something like Hyper-V?
Do you need all the security updates at home if all you do is using it as a file server?

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
That depends on how risk averse you are. If it's being deployed in a scheme that is facing the Internet, be aware that it will have, as yet unknown, vulnerabilities, that will no longer be patched/ fixed by M$. In a production environment, I would not recommend using it. There is nothing inherently wrong about using it though, as long as you are careful about what you allow access to it. Also, remember that if you become compromised in some other part of your setup, it might allow an exploit on your 2012R2 server to be executed. Hackers can and do take many vectors. Many roads lead to Rome as they say :)

MrGlasspoole

Jan 17, 2020
I thing my biggest concern are the Android devices that have access in the home net :)

I'm running pfSense and sure SMBv1 is disabled on all devices.

Net-Runner

Feb 25, 2016
I have a Windows Server 2012 R2 currently running in my home lab on top of a good old buddy WD Sentinel DX4000. It was Windows Storage Server 2008 originally, but I have managed to upgrade it a little bit. There is no way I can update this hardware further, and basically, that is the only reason why it is still running Windows 2012 R2. But since I am using only its iSCSI target, I feel more or less OK with that.

If you are sure your host is secure and isolated, there is nothing wrong with running an old and end-of-life operating system. Otherwise, your data is exposed to risk.

MrGlasspoole

Jan 17, 2020
Define isolated :)

The moment it is connected to your network it is no longer isolated?

Other PCs and Androids have access to it to play movies...

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
2016 has some controls over doing updates but still has some Windows 10 bloat like bloody XBOX crap.
2019 has less update control and still the same Win10 shite.
Both work fine otherwise, I personally run 2016 as I have keys for it and no need for 2019 and M$ antics with updates.