server 2012 nic teaming switch recommendation

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
also sorry to throw this link in to it, this is what i was following for the teaming

Server 720 - Server 2012 Blog: SMB 3.0 Multipath over Nic Team in Windows Server 2012 seems to use lacp etc.
Can't open your link from here - office filters seem to think blogspot.com.es is a dangerous site...

I'll look at it from home tonight, but I've never seen any use of LACP or other forms of teaming required for SMB multipath.

Also don't know why having multiple interfaces seems to stop you from accessing the server. Very odd. It is a common and usually trouble-free configuration.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
OK. Quick response based on just a quick look at this.

SMB multichannel does not need NIC-teaming to work. SMB multichannel is able to use teamed links, but they are not required...

Still think you are best off attacking this one step at a time. Get the individual links working, test whether SMB multichannel give you the performance you need). Decide after that if you need the extra benefits of teams - when in this instance have more to do with reliance against link failures than it does adding additional "speed".

I think this is the operative article that should provide you the best guidance: http://blogs.technet.com/b/josebda/...ature-of-windows-server-2012-and-smb-3-0.aspx

Last edited:

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
1. never team a DC
2. you have to call the machine by its name (\\servername)
3. disable ipv6 until you figure out how to address it using something other than fe80 (never registers dns)

4. if you can't get 10gb out of a single ethernet nic (10gbe ) then you are using the wrong one. without any other this smb multichannel. windows 7/2008R2 nothing newer.
^^^^ most important bit ^^^^

rhys24

Jun 2, 2013
still have the same issue, if I enable all the NIC the server can't be connected to, not sure if its a server 2012 essentials thing, but no joy here!

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
Hey Rhys, when you have all NICs connected, are they all getting DHCP?
Have made sure you haven't been caught with WinBlows firewall bullshit and their bloody idea to mae all networks PUBLIC (firewalled) if you don't run Static addresses?

If the system is NOT a clean load, have you cleaned up all your old devices and drivers that are no longer in the system?

Toddh

Jan 30, 2013
Elaborate on "not connected". Can you ping the individual interfaces of the server from another machine once you configure static IPs?

Also what are you trying to accomplish, are you looking for increased bandwidth or redundancy etc(I many have missed this)

Last edited:

rhys24

Jun 2, 2013
Elaborate on "not connected". Can you ping the individual interfaces of the server from another machine once you configure static IPs?

Also what are you trying to accomplish, are you looking for increased bandwidth or redundancy etc(I many have missed this)
Hi yes 3 out of the 4 are dhcp where the other 1 is assigned as all other machines are pointing to that ip.

No can't ping the interfaces. if 1 Nic has an ip and the other 3 disabled, I can ping the machine as soon as another machine gets an ip can no longer ping that machine

Yes trying to get all cards to work together to maximise bandwidth,

rhys24

Jun 2, 2013
Remove statics from local machine, set the IP to the machine with your router using static DHCP.

Also test by letting windows choose what IP to take for all four, see what you get.
If i let all machines get an ip from dhcp, still cant ping the Ip's - If I assign all ip's still cant ping the ip's

dhcp is an asus rt-n66u - appreciate your help