Server 2012 multi-array build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jcl333

May 28, 2011
Hello all, I suppose this config is very similar to others posted here. But, I would be interested in any comments people have.

OS
* Server 2012

Case & power supply
* Supermicro 24 bay chassis $900-$1,100
* Swap out five case fans for quieter ones (still use PWM)
* Swap out 900-1200W PS with 500-700W Platinum
* Go with 4-6 direct attach 8087 connectors for backplane

Motherboard
* Supermicro X9SCM-iiF or similar $200
* May need Supermicro HSF if Intel one doesn’t work

CPU
* Xeon E3-1240 V2 $269

RAM
* 32GB 4x 8GB Samsung off Supermicro compatibility list $480

Raid controller
* Adaptec 71605 ($725) + flash module ($185) $910
* Add fan for full airflow
* Will need cables

HBA
* Probably LSI 9207-8i $300
* Will need cables

Hard drives
* OS – 180GB Intel 520 series SSD $180
> May use two in RAID1
* Array1 – six 3TB WD RED @ $170 (RAID6) $1,020
* Array2 – combination of 2 & 3TB disks on hand

Purposes
* Store family HD video and pictures
* Store traditional important docs – tax records, etc.
* Store Blu-ray and DVD ISOs for streaming to my home theater PC
* Store video from security system and other home automation
* Possibly some light server virtualization, file servers will likely be virtual
* Possibly serve out some iSCSI volumes to other servers in the future

Goals
* Initial budget approximately $5,000
* Stability, reliability, flexibility, expandability
* Reduced noise and power consumption

Notes
* RAID controller and arrays
I am still debating if I will go with the Adaptec or instead go with Areca or LSI. I really like the Adaptec feature set and interface. I am using the RAID controller and array for all of my important data, because this is what I am used to at work. I will use the HBA to host a set of disks using a Server 2012 storage pool with ReFS.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Seems like you are paying a lot for the RAM. The Kingston KVR16E11K4/32 or KVR16E11K4/32I would be significantly less when Amazon has them in stock. I is for Intel. I also think you can use things like these and they are just marketing part numbers for specific OEM applications but the same physical product. As far as OS drives are concerned, another option is to use something less expensive. I actually use an armada of Intel X25-M drives as OS drives. They are not the fastest, but plenty fast and they are rock solid. The 520's are nice drives but you can get many drives for sub $1/GB these days and something like a Samsung 830 would also be good.

My thought on RAID controllers is that you want to be as comfortable as possible when a drive fails or a controller fails. If you feel the best with Adaptec, Areca, or LSI that goes a long way.

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
What PWM fans are you thinking of using? The x9scm board doesn't quite like the low rpm fans and cutting the 4th wire is a shame if you can still get 3 pin fans.

jcl333

May 28, 2011
Seems like you are paying a lot for the RAM. The Kingston KVR16E11K4/32 or KVR16E11K4/32I would be significantly less when Amazon has them in stock. I is for Intel. I also think you can use things like these and they are just marketing part numbers for specific OEM applications but the same physical product.
Well, you raise an interesting point. My premise is to order right off the compatibility list and then if I ever have to call Supermicro support, they can't poke me about the memory I am using. But, as long as you have tried these and they work fine even long-term with the SM boards, then I am game. Compatibility/stability/reliability are much more important to me than cost, but if the cheap option works then sure. Kingston is a reputable brand, so if you like those I would be willing to go with them.

As far as OS drives are concerned, another option is to use something less expensive. I actually use an armada of Intel X25-M drives as OS drives. They are not the fastest, but plenty fast and they are rock solid. The 520's are nice drives but you can get many drives for sub $1/GB these days and something like a Samsung 830 would also be good.
You are right, I was only choosing the 520's because I got one of the 180GB versions at Best Buy for $160 for my gaming desktop, and one of the 120GB ones for my HTPC, and I really like them. But, for the server you are right, X25-M's would probably work fine. One thing I am interested in is these new drivers that Intel has been putting out there that support TRIM even under RAID, if that can work for me on this build I want to do that and will go with RAID1 for the OS. Don't know if it will work with the chipset I will have or if I need specific Intel SSDs to support that.

I would be willing to go with the Samsung based on your recommendation. Honestly, I only have so much time in a day, and the SSD scene has gotten vast and complicated... so I find one or two brands that I really like and stick with them. I just switched to Intel, my previous was the Corsair C300 which served me well, but I sold it to someone as part of my gaming rig upgrade. I also had great success now with Gskill RAM after being a Corsair loyalist for years - but I got two 8Gig sticks that run DDR3 2133 on the first try with XMP for about 50% the cost of equivalent Corsair, very happy here.

My thought on RAID controllers is that you want to be as comfortable as possible when a drive fails or a controller fails. If you feel the best with Adaptec, Areca, or LSI that goes a long way.
Yes, I think this is a really important point, and I don't see it mentioned enough on this forum. Honestly, I have not played with Areca, and I have only played with LSI at work with the HP or DELL branded products, and then usually only for the OS drives or for a storage controller where the card itself is obscured by the vendor interface. I only know Adaptec from years ago with various SCSI controllers, and they have since been bought by PMC/Sierra, which appears to be mostly a good thing.

So, my current thinking is do as much research as I can, and don't be afraid to spend money on the best card with the best interface. That article you pointed to me from Adreas is great, because he reveals PROS about the Adaptec card over the LSI that are important to me. So I am leaning in that direction. But, it is hard to deny all the experience of all the people on this forum using LSI and Areca with great success.

-JCL

jcl333

May 28, 2011
What PWM fans are you thinking of using? The x9scm board doesn't quite like the low rpm fans and cutting the 4th wire is a shame if you can still get 3 pin fans.
Good question. I was actually planning on waiting until I receive the case so that I could take a look at the fans, and also connect them to my SM motherboard and see how good the motherboard fan management can deal with it just using the stock fans. I realize it might get unhappy if it is used to dealing with 5000RPM fans and I throw something much slower in there.

I hate doing fan research, few places really properly account for static pressure, so they will happily give you a quieter fan, but completely kill airflow. I likely need to find a happy medium, which probably means something middle-of-the road. I will bet the fan in the Supermicro are probably SAN-ACE or something similar that probably hits like 50 dBA or higher at 5000 RPM. I am wondering if I should even look at fans with even higher RPM, so that when they are rolled down to lower RPM I get where I want to be on noise and airflow without pissing off the bios. I will share my results and welcome any suggestions.

-JCL