[semi-ot] low idle power refurbished server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mgiammarco

Jan 6, 2015
Hello,
I ask here because it is the most appropiate forum even if I am not asking a diy solution.

I can find rack mounted refurbished servers easily and at a nice price.
The usually are dual core, with 18 or 24 dimm slots and refurbished registered dimms are cheap.

But now I need some servers with low idle power and very low noise, not new, refurbished too!

I have found some very interesting servers: Fujitsu rx1330 and tx1320 have low idle power, ilom, dual psu, ecc ram, xeon... they are real servers
Unfortunately they use unbuffered dimms that cost a lot and are not easy to find at all.

Are some servers with registered ram and idle power? I am not asking for latest models, I need to find them refurbished.
Probably some supermicro kits? I am not expert at all of supermicro.
Thanks in advance for any help,
Mario

dreamsin

Oct 31, 2018
I have spare RX1330 M1 with 32gb of unbuffered ECC ram in the EU if you might be interested.

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
I have found some very interesting servers: Fujitsu rx1330 and tx1320 have low idle power, ilom, dual psu, ecc ram, xeon... they are real servers
Unfortunately they use unbuffered dimms that cost a lot and are not easy to find at all.
I was seriously looking at these servers a while back too. However in my case, I would have opted to purchase a full system, ready-to-go out of the box. In future I will be choosing this option more often. The only reason I didn't get one was that money became very tight.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Are some servers with registered ram and idle power? I am not asking for latest models, I need to find them refurbished.
Probably some supermicro kits? I am not expert at all of supermicro.
The problem is that low power historically was associated with the Xeon E3 and Atom lines. Both of them (historically) did not support large amount of memory so used unbuffered ram exclusively.

Larger boxes run E5's with registered ram, but those are not as low power than the E3/Atoms.

In not so ancient history Intel brought Xeon-D systems which use Rdimms, but less power than E5s... but those are not cheap, even used...

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
At least in NA, DDR4 RDIMM is not that much cheaper than DDR4 UDIMM, to my knowledge. DDR3 RDIMM, on the other hand, is really cheap. But if you're finding registered to be cheaper for you, you might consider a dual-socket E5 board (e.g., X10DR*) and just populating one socket. The board's block diagram will be in its manual, but often all the PCIe slots are routed to the first CPU, and the only thing you lose is the second CPU's DIMMs.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
As well as Xeon-D, the server-esque C2000 and C3000 Atom SoCs normally support registered RAM and are about as low power as you can get as long as you don't need high single-threaded performance. The C2000's should be avoided due to hardware bugs but the C3000 systems have been knocking around long enough that there should be chassis knocking around the s/h market.

(I'm not in possession of any such systems myself but I have built a number of very low power servers using the A2SDi-8C+-HLN4F which supports up to 256GB of RAM in four sockets)

mgiammarco

Jan 6, 2015
Thanks for all replies. Infact I have found some shops with reasonable priced ddr4 udimm. The only thing I miss is a shop that (in Europe) sells refurbished fujitsu or supemicro with CTO option. I means I can easily find on ebay premade TX1320 but with only one psu or with 8gb dimms (that then I will throw away) and so on.
Can you help me?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
While I consider this last post as advertisement and reported it accordingly, it at least brought this post back to attention

@mgiammarco - have you found what you looked for in the meantime? Your last post must have slipped notice and you did seem to need further help

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I did.
Sorry if you're a genuine user, but first post and this sounded very much like an advertisement.
O/c it was somewhat related, but op was looking for fujitsu/supermicro and you linked to HP which he said he can get everywhere, so not really helpful.

Also, it does not look like it even got a branch in Europe, so not even helpful at all. Unless that page is just an Ebay like marketplace for servers which then are located all over the world, but thats not how I understand it yet.

Also you might want to update your page - not aware of any countries where its still christmas...
1621925872179.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Moniemazel

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Contemplating reporting Rand__'s post because, obviously, every day should be treated and lived like it's christmas. I highly recommend any site willing to demonstrate this excellent mindset.

• Haha
Reactions: Rand__