Self Built X8DTE-F-O server board won't go past BIOS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

error0024

Dec 29, 2013
Seems like, it doesn't post at all. I just updated the bios rev to 2.0.
Bought this board from amazon and got the L5520s from amazon as well.
It was working well at first. Until I updated the bios through the win98 boot.

Restart the computer and failed to boot already after the bios update. Rams are using NON-ECC 1333mhz/1600mhz both size also got 4GB/8GB tested. Not working no response, as the problem is the motherboard keeps power up and off. (Seems like reboot loop to me) Where it happens when you set wrong timing,speed, and etc for the ram. Plugged out the ram, and have the BEEP codes, where it shows memory error(since does'nt have memory at all)

Tested by resetting CMOS/ shorting JBT1, taking out CMOS battery, changing power supply, taking out the board and such. Still doesn't work at all. Swapping processor,testing one at a time, tried different memory module and such. All from Team elite / Kingston though.
Quite frustrated, what do you guys suggest?

Is it because bad bios or what? No respond no beep code anything, when the thing keep on rebooting and rebooting. Is it related to bios update where it rendered the memory to be incompatible?
Could it be that problem, what do you guys suggest?

Thanks a lot! Hope to get some response at least ...:D

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
If you're sure everything is alright, also the heatsinks, you may be able to crossflash the bios chip? I believe atleast some Supermicro boards have the same chip/socket.

Last edited:

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
You've got the "-F" version, so it has BMC/IPMI. Connect your LAN to the IPMI port and see if you can log into the BMC (it runs as a separate SoC so the MB does not need to POST/Boot to use it). Check the BMC logs and see if it records the reason for the post failure.

error0024

Dec 29, 2013
Thank you for your response and reply guys.

nitrobass : I tried taking off the ram, and I got the beep codes that says memory error. Which is 5 short and 1 long.

Mike : I have two boards though, can you tell me how to do the cross flashing? Will give a try though, could be incompatibility of memory after the bios flashing I guess.

PigLover : I will give a try with the IPMI settings, but it seems that requires configuration right? I will give a try and see Thanks!

error0024

Dec 29, 2013
I tried the IPMI. It seems can be connected. What kind of things I can do with it?
Cheers, sorry bout being it. It's the first time I'm using the IPMI actually. Phew

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
Thank you for your response and reply guys.

nitrobass : I tried taking off the ram, and I got the beep codes that says memory error. Which is 5 short and 1 long.

Mike : I have two boards though, can you tell me how to do the cross flashing? Will give a try though, could be incompatibility of memory after the bios flashing I guess.

PigLover : I will give a try with the IPMI settings, but it seems that requires configuration right? I will give a try and see Thanks!
See where the IPMI gets you. Else you can try swapping the Bios chip on your other board with dos loaded.

error0024

Dec 29, 2013
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/5269/uvif.jpg

This is the returned result.

"CF" only. It's weird though. I used the POST snooping. That's all I get though.

B2,B4 codes came out as well.
Though, they seems to be normal codes. How do I log the problem that the system won't boot up?
Hmm, it's new to me, and I'm reading it all around now

Thanks for the guides ^^

error0024

Dec 29, 2013
It was a bad bios flash. Doesn't really know why it happens, but it happened.

Luckily I have two boards, which hotswapped the bios and reflashed.
Worked it out well and problem solved ^^