Seeking SAS2 raid card recommendation

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Ruohtas

Mar 3, 2021
I was going to get a HP MS Gen10+, until I started looking at other options. I've settled on a SuperServer 5029C-T and need to find a LFF SAS2 raid card that will fit. I'll only be using the provided 4 bays that are connected to the SAS backplane. I'm just not familiar with the SAS Raid controller world, and unsure what the best bang for the buck would be. I'll be using Red Hat linux for my hypervisor.

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
Are you doing software defined storage (ZFS, btrfs, swift, gluster, MD raid, etc) or are you looking for the controller to handle all of the RAID operations?

Ruohtas

Mar 3, 2021
That's a great question, and one I probably should figure out. I'll be working with some containers, some traditional VMs. I'll be using some SAS2 SSDs (2x400GB, 2x1.6TB). I'd like to get maximum speed out of the storage array, it'll be doing some heavy lifting, then transferring the results off to a NAS. I was originally looking at a r0 of the 400GB drives, and a r1 of the 1.6TB drives, but if something like btrfs will work well with that few drives, I don't mind an "IT mode" card. I think I'd prefer one that has hardware raid though.

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
Just get a Dell H310. It will take care of Raid 0 and Raid 1 easily at full speed. If you ever decide to switch to software defined storage, you can use the same controller. $30