Seeking monitor and resolution opinions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

turgin

May 16, 2016
I'm needing to purchase a new monitor(s) to work from home. I am very near-sighted and have very bad astigmatism neither of which are totally correctable. I also now need reading glasses for almost anything within arms length.

Right now at the office I use two cheapo ViewSonic 27" monitors at 1920x1080 and sit about 22" from them. I find reading much more comfortable at 125% scaling but I lose so much screen real estate that I usually leave it at 100% and just zoom or lean in closer as needed.

My typical usage is a bunch of putty/ssh/command line sessions, a handful of web interfaces, Outlook, and an IM client.

I'd really like to have more screen real estate but I know that I have to increase the resolution to do that. I've been looking very hard at one of the 34" ultrawide monitors at 3440x1440 like the Dell U3419w but I'm afraid everything will be too small for me to read comfortably so I'll end up having to turn the scaling up and messing with font sizes so I won't actually gain any real estate.

Any opinions or guesses on how much the larger 34" 21:9 screen will make up for the higher resolution for someone blind as a bat? Or, is going down to a single 21:9 just not feasible for me considering all the factors?

dandanio

Oct 10, 2017
how about using a 4k TV as your monitor like a Sony X720E 43" (KD43X720E). It is 4k, does 4:4:4 properly and HDR. Or you can go a tad bigger, as long as you get the resolution and 4:4:4 color support right.

turgin

May 16, 2016
how about using a 4k TV as your monitor like a Sony X720E 43" (KD43X720E). It is 4k, does 4:4:4 properly and HDR. Or you can go a tad bigger, as long as you get the resolution and 4:4:4 color support right.
Thanks for the suggestion. That's an interesting thought but at typical desk sizes and keyboard distances wouldn't that mean a lot of head turning to see the whole screen?

Maybe I'm thinking about it wrong. Also, I will be expensing this for work and not sure how my AP department will look at a 4k TV purchase for "business" use lol.

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
That Sony would still require increasing the scaling since it is equivalent to 4x ~21" 1080p monitors. It would overall give you a little more realestate though. Tha 34" ultrawide I don't think is the right answer either you are incresing the resolution and losing a significant amount of height. Your best bet might be finding a 30-32" 1080p screen if you could manage not to scale it or go to multiple screens.

Reactions: turgin

Scott Laird

Aug 30, 2014
I use a Dell P4317q; it's basically a 43" 4k TV with a Dell label, Displayport inputs (and HDMI and VGA, but they won't do 4k 60 Hz), and monitor-like power management (instead of TV-like power management). My vision is basically normal, and I love the monitor. IIRC Philips and LG make similar models. They're priced a bit more than 4k TVs, but not outlandishly so, assuming that you can do the usual Dell discount dance.

turgin

May 16, 2016
I'm thinking I need to stick with 2 monitors at normal HD resolution and just go up in panel size so maybe I don't have to zoom or up scale as much.

Reactions: StammesOpfer