Seeking advice on older hardware

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Some x10 mainboards are now listed as "eol" on supermicros website -> It can be harder to find replacement boards, but supermicro still offers bios/ipmi updates.

xwire

Aug 24, 2021
So was going to drop an update here to say I've got my new (old) system up and running, but was cleaning up the parts this weekend for assembly and had a bad surprise when I went to install the CPU. A bunch of pins in the socket seem to have been torn out. Nothing to be done but contact the eBay seller. Unfortunately I was delayed getting round to this and I'm probably past the returns period.

On a related note, my plans to install a heatsink would have hit a snag anyway. There's a backplate glued in place (marked BKT-0028L) that would block the installation of a stock Intel heatsink. How would one normally deal with this? Can it be removed, or is there a particular special heatsink I could source to fit?

Attachments

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
So was going to drop an update here to say I've got my new (old) system up and running, but was cleaning up the parts this weekend for assembly and had a bad surprise when I went to install the CPU. A bunch of pins in the socket seem to have been torn out. Nothing to be done but contact the eBay seller. Unfortunately I was delayed getting round to this and I'm probably past the returns period.

On a related note, my plans to install a heatsink would have hit a snag anyway. There's a backplate glued in place (marked BKT-0028L) that would block the installation of a stock Intel heatsink. How would one normally deal with this? Can it be removed, or is there a particular special heatsink I could source to fit?
PayPal has 180 days of buyer protection.