Sector counts for replacing ZFS disk with different model

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

danwood82

Feb 23, 2013
My OmniOS/napp-it server has dropped a drive (and looks like a second is on the way out, reallocated sector count appears to be rising), and like an idiot, I never ordered up any spares when I set the thing up - they're currently all Seagate Constellation CS 3TB disks, but that disk is EOL, and I can only get hold of it for >twice what it's worth, and on backorder.

I figured I'd swap it out for an HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB, but I'm not sure if that'll work. I figure it'll need to be either exactly the same sector count or higher... but how can I tell? Nobody seems to publish sector count data these days. Are all modern type drives of the same stated capacity interchangeable, or is this still a potential minefield?

Scott Laird

Aug 30, 2014
I believe sector count for N TB hard drives is standardized now, but I can't find a reference to this anywhere.

I'm fairly confident that it's true for 3 TB drives, at least. I have a ton of different brands and models of 3T drives in my ZFS server. Some Seagate, some WD, some HGST, of a bunch of different generations. Some of them were 520-byte Netapp drives that were reformatted to 512-byte sectors. Every single one of the drives is 5860533168 sectors according to blockdev --getsz in Linux.

Reactions: danwood82

danwood82

Feb 23, 2013
Fantastic, many thanks for the detailed response!
Turns out, "5860533168" was the magic Google search term I needed... turned up a review of the HGST that quotes the exact same number, and reference to the Seagate stating it too.

Very useful info to know!

danwood82

Feb 23, 2013
Just wanted to say thanks again. I got the replacement Deskstar NAS drives through - they were indeed byte-exact matches for the Seagate drives, and the swap and resilver went through without a hitch. Back up and running!

adgenet

Apr 12, 2016
I thought when letting ZFS manage the partitioning, as in adding whole disks to a vdev as opposed to a pre-configured partition, it adds an 8MB partition to the end of the disk to account for potential differing sector counts between models of disks of the same overall size?
I was under the impression that this feature lets you replace, say a 1TB disk with another 1TB disk without worrying about the exact number of sectors.
My pool has disks that look like this in fdisk:
Code:
Device                                                       Start         End     Sectors  Size Type
/dev/sda-part1        2048 11721027583 11721025536  5.5T Solaris /usr & Apple ZFS
/dev/sda-part9 11721027584 11721043967       16384    8M Solaris reserved 1
Never had to deal with this directly but I thought that's how it worked