Seagate Pulsar.2 SAS SSD Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Starting a thread to start discussing the Seagate Pulsar.2 SAS SSD.

These are MLC NAND SSDs with 370MB/s (read) /200MB/s (write) sequential transfers. Probably the most noteworthy feature is that it has the drives have 6gb/s SAS interfaces available. They also have features like power loss protection.

From what I can tell these things are 8TB of full drive writes per day for a 5 year warranty period.

The XT.2 version is the SLC version

From what I have read, these were the Seagate designed controllers. From what I heard, they were expensive and not super fast. Seagate designed these to be direct Savvio replacements in terms of reliability from the rumors out there, then got beat in the market by other companies delivering "good enough" rather than heavily validated drives.

Here's why these are now noteworthy: They are now sub $1/GB at smaller capacities. The larger capacities are still several dollars per drive. Examples -
200GB new $190: Amazon.com: Seagate Pulsar.2 200 GB SATA 6Gb/s MLC Enabled 2.5-Inch Internal Solid State Hybrid Drive ST200FM0012: Computers & Accessories
200GB new from ebay (china seller) $176 or $166 with best offer: Seagate Enterprise MLC Solid State Drive 200GB 6GB s SAS SSD ST100FM00012 New | eBay

100GB $99 on Amazon: Amazon.com: Seagate Pulsar.2 200 GB SATA 6Gb/s MLC Enabled 2.5-Inch Internal Solid State Hybrid Drive ST200FM0012: Computers & Accessories

I bought two 200GB drives. The SAS interface is at least intriguing.

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
I would be interested in the performance of the SAS versions. I have been buying up the SAS ssds when I can for cluster storage spaces and looking for faster write speeds with SAS ssds.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
OK. I bit. No reviews but I did hear from folks connected with the drives that these things are not the fastest but are tanks of drives.

I should have more on this soon but I have 6x SAS SSDs in the lab and 5 incoming. Not all different models mind you but I want to do RAID arrays.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
SAS drives tend to be more compatible with raid controllers but you still need to be wary of Garbage collection and OP% to keep the latency under control!