Seagate NAS - WD Red or AV drives for Synology NAS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I think we have budget for an 8-bay NAS this month and based on what I've seen here, Synology may be a front runner.

I see they have IP camera options and have been following the thread on POE switches.

My proposed layout is 5x 3 or 4 TB drives in RAID 5 for our data. 3x 3 or 4 TB drives in RAID 5 for camera recording.

I have drives picked out for the data however want to have a separate array for the video so performance on both is predictable.

I know AV drives keep writing even if there is a fault but wanted to see if there is a reason to go AV drives instead of NAS drives.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Easy answer is to check what is supported: Compatibility - What hard drive models are supported by Synology products? - Synology Inc. Network Attached Storage - NEW NAS Experience

Looks like the Red's are supported. Seagate has a bunch of different models....most look supported.
Supported and optimal are different. I'm guessing he did look at supported drives and that's why he mentioned those.

Here's the thing - why not standardize on one type of drive? The AV ones generally are good for non-stop logging, but if you wanted to expand the array to 8 drives later, I would want to keep all the same.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
AV is TLER=0s
RED/RE4 is TLER=7s
Consumer is DCR = 180s

8 seconds is enough to cause all heck on certain data stores.

Really must consider how the nas/san will be used.