Seagate Exos 2X14 Mach.2 500MBps Hard Drive Launched

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DedoBOT

Dec 24, 2018
So , this is just two hard drives in a single enclosure and you need to set somehow the 2 volumes of 7tb in raid 0 to achieve the proclaimed speed of 500+ MB/s , right ?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
comming here from google... After searching for information how exactly seagate achieves more throughput :D

let's say we have two hdds with 8 platters each, each platter has the same storage density and capacity

hdd 1: (single actuator)
hdd 2: (dual actuators)

how can hdd 2 be faster (in sequential workloads) than hdd 1 when the platters rotate at the same speed?
from my understanding one actuator would take care of the top 4 platters, the second actuator of the lower 4 platters in hdd 2.
When the 4 platters are able to read at 250MByte/s shouldn't 8 platter (aka hdd 1) be able to achieve 500MByte/s?

For small io that fits in one disc sector I can see how two actuators improves the performance, but not for sequential workloads...

UhClem

just another Bozo on the bus
Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
Q. What did one head(-actuator) say to the other?
A. I'll do the odds, you do the evens.
:):)
I suppose :
The low-level formatting, which determines what LBA# is assigned to what physical sector, will involve some degree of interleaving. The Mach.2 firmware will add command requests (from host), after any factoring of "large" requests into smaller units, to the appropriate Command-Queue-Set (for actuator-1 or -2). The firmware will "do the right thing" in processing those queues.

• Haha
Reactions: zack$