Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Red Pro

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Toshiba MG Enterprise

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Toshiba N300

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bilbo1337

Sep 18, 2020
Florida
There's a promo code 'chiaching' which makes it come out to $234.99 each. They aren't new but still it's manufacture recerts which people get when they have to RMA a new drive from Seagate. So a bit better than a used drive. Also, it looks like there's no sales tax to pay so by itself that's a good deal I'd say.

Seagate Exos 16TB ST16000NM001G

Reactions: Samir and itronin

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
At $14.6875/TB and a 2 year warranty, these are pretty much on par with the normal Easystore deals in terms of price/value. Although this is probably a higher quality drive since it is a true enterprise drive so long term these should be better.

Reactions: itronin

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Two year warranty?
that's what the linked page says. 2 year warranty provided by the seller. Maybe the seller is holding on to shelf spares for warranty claim or figure bathtub curve on the failures to replace with inventory on hand. 14 months later I'm still running 32x Seagate EXOS 16 16TB mfg recertified SAS drives with "knock on wood" nary a failure.

Reactions: Samir and awedio

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
The seagate exos x16/18 and toshiba mg series are the cheapest hdds with >16tb capcacity in germany/eu. Even cheaper than consumer/prosumer hdds...

Some of the reasons I started to like seagate: access to hdd firmware, free/libre tools (check their github page for the seatools) and the support gave the impression that they really try to help you :)

Reactions: Samir and itronin

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
The seagate exos x16/18 and toshiba mg series are the cheapest hdds with >16tb capcacity in germany/eu. Even cheaper than consumer/prosumer hdds...

Some of the reasons I started to like seagate: access to hdd firmware, free/libre tools (check their github page for the seatools) and the support gave the impression that they really try to help you :)
The Seagate enterprise of new reminds me of the good old reliable Seagate of the 1990s when they were the udisputed top dog of drives. Their exos series is definitely a solid performer and design. I just installed another 8TB and 16TB exos today and rock solid as usual. Of course so were the 10TB WD Golds, so drives at the enterprise level are just nice. :)

Reactions: Fritz and itronin

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Holy smackaroonies, that's a lot of storage--1/2 a PB--all in the physical size of a 3/4u chassis. Nice! :D
2 x SM CSE-836, one is a backup of the other. so 6U
1/2PB RAW, 2 x 8RZ2 = 160TiB or so on each. call it ~1/3 PB usable

my how that storage dwindles when you back things up. :p

Reactions: Samir

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Some of the oldest drives I own are factory refurbed Seagate drives. Mostly 1TB but also a few 2TB. Don't remember having the first failure in one of these green rimmed label drives.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Who voted that the Toshiba MG series is the best 16TB? Now I want to argue :p
Toshiba drives are good but their support couldn't possibly be any worst. Good luck with any warranty claims you may have outstanding.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
They are just as suprised as us that somebody bought them, so they are unsure how to process the claim.
I've run into this when trying to warranty a samsung memory module so it's sometimes a matter of reaching the right place in a large company like that. But to hear about it here is pretty shocking as I'm sure a lot of users here know that right place.

marv

Apr 2, 2015
Last week I ordered two 18TB Toshibas for 236EUR/piece without VAT. So I hope they will be ok, because last 8 years I was shucking WD drives, but even those are more expensive than enterprise Toshibas now.

Can you imagine how much money Synology makes on reselling them for like double the price? I guess that people realize that and dont want to accept it and so Synology started forcing vendor lock in their NASes. :(

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Can you imagine how much money Synology makes on reselling them for like double the price? I guess that people realize that and dont want to accept it and so Synology started forcing vendor lock in their NASes. :(
At least it only appears to be on the 12 drive consumer units. It's why a used DS2419+ (no vendor locking) now sells for more on eBay than a new DS2422+. Synology has said that they will re-enable SMART for non-branded drives and turn off the warning messages in a future update, but it was a poor move on their part in my opinion.