Seagate Drives lost NCQ

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Ray

Apr 24, 2016
PA
I've never seen or heard of this before but it happened to me today. I had some Seagate 3TB (St3000dm001) laying around that I used for an extra backup before I reconfigured one of my pools. To do this I pulled out a pool that I wasn't going to use and replaced it with these 6 Seagates. After configuring them as a Raid Z2 volume I proceeded to copy the data over. It took over 7 hours for what should have been a 90 minute job.
I did notice that on 2 of them the drive indicators were staying on for long periods of time and decided to check them after the copy finished. A quick check on Crystal Disk showed no problem for either of them.

That left me a bit confused and while I sat there staring at the screen it hit me....NCQ was grayed out. I took
that drive out and checked the 1st one and same thing. I then checked the other dozen of this same drive I have and every one had NCQ. Somehow my problem drives lost it.

Anybody ever run into this before and do you have any idea what might have caused it?

no ncq.JPG