Seagate Constellation.2 Strange Chirping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Morgan Simmons

Feb 18, 2015
Hey Everyone.

Just got 10 Seagate Constellation.2 drives and they work well so far. Smart shows no issues what so ever with the drives, but I'm hearing a chriping noise coming from them.

When the drives are sitting relatively idle for a while, and then become active, the drives chirp (it literally sounds like a cricket chirping once) and they don't make another noise again until they haven't been used and become active again.

I think it has to do with their power management. I found their document about their power management at
http://www.seagate.com/files/docs/pdf/en-GB/whitepaper/tp608-powerchoice-tech-provides-gb.pdf
but I honestly have no clue as to how to go about defeating the power management

Note. Using this in a supermicro 24bay 2.5 in chassis with Sas2 expander connected to a 1015 in IT mode. Running win2012 and have HDD spindown turned off in advanced power management.

Thanks everyone

canta

Nov 26, 2014
on linux
you can use hdparm or smartctl

hdparm -B255 /dev/sdX or hdparm /dev/disk/by-id/XXXXXXXX or uuid
smartctl -s apm=255 /dev/sdX or by-id or uuid

smartctl -s apm=254 -d megaraid,$9 /dev/sda 9-> drive position can be view with megactl util (an example to set apm behid megaraid lsi)
the change is not permanent, you have to insert a script or init script during OS loading.

Reactions: Lance Joseph

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
Marshall, please post the models of the drives rather than a general advertising name.

The sound you are hearing is the drives spinning up. This is typical with Seagate and BS power-down firmwares they are known for and why I refuse to use them with RAID of any form or controller.

Windows has no control over them and hence why they can fall out of an array.

In the past, I have used Crystal Disk installed and run in the background to edit and over-ride the APM/AAM shit.

Last edited:

Morgan Simmons

Feb 18, 2015
Windows 2012R2 environment. Not Linux, read OP.
Its's all good. I tried adapting it to the windows version. But for some reason the constellations don't use APM. They have their own version of power management using EPC codes if I understand what the pamphlet is saying. Annoying to say the least.

Morgan Simmons

Feb 18, 2015
Marshall, please post the models of the drives rather than a general advertising name.

The sound you are hearing is the drives spinning up. This is typical with Seagate and BS power-down firmwares they are known for and why I refuse to use them with RAID of any form or controller.

Windows has no control over them and hence why they can fall out of an array.

In the past, I have used Crystal Disk installed and run in the background to edit and over-ride the APM/AAM shit.

So far they haven't dropped out of my array. They've actually been working out great, just that they make noise in a server that I've made extremely quiet :)

The exact model number is
Dell Seagate Constellation.2 250GB,Internal,7200 RPM,2.5", ST9250610NS

Morgan Simmons

Feb 18, 2015
Oooh I think you might have given me a solution!

I have HDD Guardian Scanning the drives every minute and it seems to have keep the drives spun up. Will keep testing .

BTW- HDD Guardian seems like a great piece of software. It's a GUI front end for smartmontools.