Seagate Backup Plus 4TB Drive - Cheap 2.5" 4TB drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
anyone experience any failures with the drives yet? also what is the best way to test once you get it prior to opening up the case? I'm thinking of getting 2-3 to use with freenas and use it for file dumping for my vms.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
anyone experience any failures with the drives yet? also what is the best way to test once you get it prior to opening up the case? I'm thinking of getting 2-3 to use with freenas and use it for file dumping for my vms.
I haven't seen any fail but only have 3 sofar(only one inside a system the others external) on linux there is the badblocks utility, on windows I personally like to push ccleaner through a complex overwrite at 3 passes or more than then check the drives smartstats afterwards.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
12 running under FreeNAS, RaidZ3 (8+3+spare). Not a super active array as its just doing daily backup duty right now. Perfect so far but its only been a month or two (I bought them within a week of the deal showing up)

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
12 running under FreeNAS, RaidZ3 (8+3+spare). Not a super active array as its just doing daily backup duty right now. Perfect so far but its only been a month or two (I bought them within a week of the deal showing up)
that's a beautiful sounding array, what chassis did you use?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Its in a Supermicro 2U SC216 with an X10SDV-4C-7TP4F, 32GB. Its way overkill for a backup server...

I've got 12 2.5" drive slots free for growth and an SM951 256GB M.2 drive in the chassis for SLOG/ZIL if I need fast sync writes.

Reactions: cheezehead

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Just nabbed that deal as well, only need two but had to bite the bullet on three.

GRACIAS!

EDIT: I just picked up two sets actually, hope I am not super sad trying to be a cheap ass and NOT spending the extra $300-400 on 3.5 spinners w/ similar capacity. Just gonna use for backup data and photos/media so here's knocking on wood. I will accelerate the 6 disk raidz2 pool via two hussl4020 drives so I'm praying they do the heavy lifting.

Last edited:

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Anyone know the difference between the STDR4000100 and the STEA4000400?

Abt the same/nomimal/no difference?

TType85

Dec 22, 2014
Garden Grove, CA
The backup plus comes with different software I think and the cloud stuff. The expansion doesn't. We will see what drive is in it hopefully this weekend (already have fed ex tracking info, shipping from a few miles away)

mtekk

May 22, 2015
Minnesota
Anyone know the difference between the STDR4000100 and the STEA4000400?

Abt the same/nomimal/no difference?
The only difference that matters to schucking is the STEA4000400 is more difficult to open than the STDR4000X00 drives (I've shucked 3 of each). The STDRs I can open with just my hands/fingernails, and I could probably reassemble them. The STEAs require a prying tool and will not be going back together nicely. Other than that the drives inside of them are the same, though the packaging is different.

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
keep the little SATA dongle it's great for any laptop drives(which i have piles of so...)
Also, since it comes with the cable, it is nice if you want to convert old SSDs to fast LiveCD, installer, driver disks.

Reactions: PigLover

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
A small amusing (embarrassing?) note about these drives. I built a FreeNAS backup server using 12 of these drives in a 8+3+spare RaidZ3 array. It currently has about 18TB written to it.

Earlier this week I was doing some work on the system right above it and pulled a drive - except I pulled it from the wrong server and ended up grabbing one of the live drives in the FreeNAS array (oops!).

Since there was a spare in the pool ZFS immediately activated the spare and started resilvering. Took 3.5 days (ugh!) but it finished with no errors and backup activity to the array continued without a hiccup. Phew!

Reactions: Chuntzu and pgh5278

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Yep, one of the double edge sword facets of hot spare's!

Good times! Glad your rebuild went silky smooth...'ummm...that was just a stress test...yeah a stress test' :-D

Reactions: PigLover

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Is there an option that would prevent the hot spare from being grabbed until the drive was offline for X minutes that would let you slide it back in and regroup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
I am not sure about a delay before using the hotspare, but the general advice for zfs and hotspare drives is to not use them unless you really need to. This is an example of an undesirable situation you can run into with hotspares.

On the other hand, my friend has a 4-drive z1 array of the terrible Seagate 3TB drives, and when one went bad and showed over half a TB of bad sectors, he took my advice and got a HGST 4TB to replace it. Since data was at risk, he used ddrescue to only copy the readable sectors from the bad drive to the replacement, and then replaced the drive in the array and ran a scrub, which repaired all of the missing sectors. It took about the same time as a resilver would have, but less data was at risk. Eventually he got more HGST drives and replaced all of the other 3TB Seagates one by one before they failed, and never lost any data.