Seagate 1200 ST400FM0063, 400GB 1.8" SSD, $85 BO FS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TedB

Dec 2, 2016
Little update, this drive requires both 5V and 3.3V power. However first adapter didn't have the voltage regulator and was supplying just 5V, second had a voltage regulator and was supplying JUST 3.3V and no 5V. After some diy and cross connecting cables drive is seen by the controller :)

Now need to sg_format it.

TedB

Dec 2, 2016
@sno.cn after providing 3.3V and 5V power to the drive it can be seen now by sg_scan.

It's important to provide 5V power on both microSAS pins and not just one like I did at first and it was behaving in very strange way as it probably wasn't able to draw enough power.

Standard sg_format command with just --format and --size switches doesn't work resulting in "Illegal Request". It requires additional switch --six like:

sg_format --format --size=512 /dev/sg1 -v --six

Took me a while to figure this out. However this forum is amazing, as answer was found here:

How to reformat HDD & SSD to 512B Sector Size

Drive formated to 512 sector size (took just few minutes) seen by system correctly so far.

Last edited:

TedB

Dec 2, 2016
@sno.cn Very nice! I am not familiar with ibm/lenovo servers and accessories however it seems to me that this cage is just SAS and not SAS2 or SAS3. Do you have any reliable information about this ?

Drives are SAS2 6Gb/s and this cage takes eight of them having just two external ports on the backplane. I would say that it's rather important to know how we connect this cage to the controller ;-)

TedB

Dec 2, 2016
If it's SAS2 then it should be fine, two SAS2 external ports each has 4 lanes. However if it's just SAS then it's bit limiting.

That's the one I was looking at just few minutes ago :) This would fit nicely as I would connect them to LSI SAS 3008.

TedB

Dec 2, 2016
@Evan, the one in post #26 is for sure SAS3, however the one in post #24 is SAS3 as well in your opinion ? Do you have any datasheet which states so ?

TedB

Dec 2, 2016
@zeynel, no idea ;-) I delegated this research job to one of my team, I hope he will be back soon with the response ;-) as long as we know the pinout we are going to be safe.

Reactions: Xenocratee

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
@Evan, the one in post #26 is for sure SAS3, however the one in post #24 is SAS3 as well in your opinion ? Do you have any datasheet which states so ?
Oops missed there was 2 in question.. re below item..

Is from an 3850 x5 or 3950 x5
But the answer about sas version I don't know, 200gb listed is only sata 3G

59Y6222

System x Information

TonyP

Jun 14, 2017
Has anybody made any progress with this enclosure? How to power it, and cooling requirements. Got my hands on a very cheap stack of these drives - found a cheap SAS -> Micro SATA adapter, but has been "forced" to 3d print a bracket/holder for the adapters to hold the drives.. The do need to be spaced a bit, to allow for cooling..

-T

Oops missed there was 2 in question.. re below item..

Is from an 3850 x5 or 3950 x5
But the answer about sas version I don't know, 200gb listed is only sata 3G

59Y6222

System x Information

sno.cn

Sep 23, 2016
Has anybody made any progress with this enclosure? How to power it, and cooling requirements. Got my hands on a very cheap stack of these drives - found a cheap SAS -> Micro SATA adapter, but has been "forced" to 3d print a bracket/holder for the adapters to hold the drives.. The do need to be spaced a bit, to allow for cooling..

-T
I'm running mine on adapters like these in these Supermicro drive cages. Leaving the tops off of the adapters, the drives idle around 40C, and can jump up to around 60C under full load so now I'm trying some heatsinks to bring max temps down a little, and it's looking good so far. The backplane fans also aren't on full blast since this thing is in my living room. I definitely don't trust these adapters though, and I don't get any status LEDs with them.

I'm thinking about either adding a 3.3v supply to my backplanes (from PSU or VR) or making my own adapters using some Molex micro SAS parts and better voltage regulators.

I bailed on using these for production stuff since buying adapters makes it kind of a wash, but I have eight of them in a ZFS pool at home and they're great.

And this should definitely be the drive cage these normally live in. The listing is over, I kinda wish I bought it last week.

TonyP

Jun 14, 2017
You could consider a solution where you make (or source, although specs on these adapters are rudimentary at best) an adapter that is passively feeding the SATA standard 3.3V through.. That way you rid yourself completely from the "cheap VR trap"...
I have gone with these: Delock Produkte Delock Adapter SATA 22 Pin > Micro SATA 16 Pin But they do still hold a VR - I have tested with power from the old Molex 4 pin, and sadly it works... I am currently feeding power from the PSU (SATA-Power), but would believe it is ignoring the 3.3V supply..

Why is it not possible to find something like this CableDeconn Mini SAS 36 SFF-8087 To (4) SFF-8482 Connectors With SATA Power 1m | eBay that get power from PSU-SATA - only in a SFF-8486 version that would go directly in to these drive??? So frustrating..

I would not be able to live with the noise from such enclosure. I have made my own chassis - quite compact 20x40x40 cm, that holds PSU, dual CPU MB, SAS HBA and drives... And a GTX 1060 graphics card - with 2 200mm fans pushing air through the whole chassis at around 400 rpm - completely silent!! So moving from 15k spinning rust to these SSDs (currently 4, will be 8 when I receive a few more adapters) in ZFS has been such a relieve... This server is in the kids "gamer room", since it doubles as a VM gaming rig.

I still have a bargain source for the drives.... So let me know if you need some??

-T

I'm running mine on adapters like these in these Supermicro drive cages. Leaving the tops off of the adapters, the drives idle around 40C, and can jump up to around 60C under full load so now I'm trying some heatsinks to bring max temps down a little, and it's looking good so far. The backplane fans also aren't on full blast since this thing is in my living room. I definitely don't trust these adapters though, and I don't get any status LEDs with them.

I'm thinking about either adding a 3.3v supply to my backplanes (from PSU or VR) or making my own adapters using some Molex micro SAS parts and better voltage regulators.

I bailed on using these for production stuff since buying adapters makes it kind of a wash, but I have eight of them in a ZFS pool at home and they're great.

And this should definitely be the drive cage these normally live in. The listing is over, I kinda wish I bought it last week.

ZhanToO

Jan 17, 2018
Hi, My apologies for ripping up an old threat.
And that is with an advertisement.
I know, I know. I'm a horrible person.
But the price is good, so if any of you have a need for it, feel free to let me know.
It's the above-mentioned 00D5399 SSD. We have a neglected eBay page where sell them at 110 USD+shipping (due to eBay fees). Outside of eBay I can do 80 USD+shipping
I hope you're not gonna hate me :(

Reactions: frogtech

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Hi, My apologies for ripping up an old threat.
And that is with an advertisement.
I know, I know. I'm a horrible person.
But the price is good, so if any of you have a need for it, feel free to let me know.
It's the above-mentioned 00D5399 SSD. We have a neglected eBay page where sell them at 110 USD+shipping (due to eBay fees). Outside of eBay I can do 80 USD+shipping
I hope you're not gonna hate me :(
Forum rules - if this is a commercial listing you need pre-approval from @Patrick to post in the for sale forum.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

ZhanToO

Jan 17, 2018
Forum rules - if this is a commercial listing you need pre-approval from @Patrick to post in the for sale forum.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
I apologize for this!
I read the rules when signing up, but I was surprised to see that it was only a very very short text consisting of 13 lines of writing.
It is a commercial listing, but I found it relevant.
Did not intend to break the rules.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I think you're okay, since you are just saying that you're straight up you're selling them for 80 each outside of ebay and haven't actually made a thread.

Quick question though, do these work in regular backplanes?