Schedule power on of esxi host from Vcenter?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
if your box can be started via WoL then it shouldnt be a problem to schedule it somewhere (and be it on a small client vm)

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
I dont think DPM allows me to specific that only 1 specific host is powered down at a scheduled time/condition. I hope I am wrong , would anyone be able to advise me?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Schedule power down on condition or power up? Two pair's of shoes...

Maybe it might help to share your use case...

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Power Down.
I intend ot power up from WOL from my pfsense

actually I am using xsibackup to backup the VMs, but cannot figure out how to shut down the esxi host at the end of the backup progress

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Well ideally it runs where ever your backup is running so it knows when the backup is done - i assume? Is that on vCenter? how does vCenter notice that the backup is done?
I would assume the easiest option would be to run a "post backup" job (scheduled by the backup tool) to then shut down the box (and set maintenance if you're so inclined).
Whether that script is triggering a shell command on the ESXi box or calls a function at vCenter via api is an implementation detail;)