Scammed From China?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Ordered CPU from ebay seller from China.

Package arrives with nothing in it.

Ebay closes claim because they provide tracking #.

In order for ebay to complete the new claim as "ITEM NOT DESCRIBED" I have to:
- File a complete police report (there are no police within 1hr of where I live)
- Scan/Fax it to ebay before they continue on the claim

The seller has a TON of negative feedback for this exact thing and others (not as described, damaged, etc) apparently I ordered right at the wrong time.

Anyone gone through this? Ebay is only giving me 10 days to find a local "police" file the claim, get their badge #, and a bunch of other bullshit for an order that was sent from out of country and seller already has received huge neg. in last month alone. Maybe I can flag down a CHP officer and have him do it.. *shake shead, ya right... lol*

I'd say I seem to have all the luck but my ebay issues are still 10% or less on average probably revolving 50-100k/year so not as much as some of you but still not a part here or there ;) so not too bad in my opinion on issues/transaction % for surplus goods.

Last edited:

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Maybe you should stick to brick and mortar stores...
Sadly I'd imagine if I spent as much at say Frys as I did eBay there would be other problems, and probably more hardware problems too based on my experience buying computer parts retail B&M for many years... CompUSA anyone? Once I had to take a Viewsonic back 3 times once to finally get a working one... now with Amazon at-least they come pick it back up and drop me off a new one ;) My problems with amazon are probably only 1-3% of my orders, but we're talking 450+ per-year, and I'd say MOST are UPS fault. (Leaving packages on my driveway (~1k feet, good guessing where it is) and it gets covered in snow, leaving packages at the wrong house and neighbors not returning it, leaving packages at neighbors and getting item months later, etc...) Although I did just return a 4TB RE AMAZON sent me with 3 others, but this one didn't fit in their selected box so they saw it appropriate to remove it from the individual box/clamshell, and put it in the shipping box with no protection, flopping around!!

No one channel is safe, and it's def. more noticeable when you crank up the transactions :) Pretty much the same thing on the vendor side too.

Reactions: coolrunnings82

Hank C

Jun 16, 2014
I always checked the reviews first if there is any negative comments for the past month to a year.
Also, I wouldn't go with something that has ridiculous low price or something that is important enough to ship from oversea.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Seller had high reviews most all good, maybe 30 negative in a year for their volume that % was well within range for a US seller let alone international.

A FLOOD of bad reviews came in the last month after I made my purchase.

The price was on target for the item, and country of origin.
Not STEEP discounted, but what I needed at an appropriate price for all things considered.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Seems like you find super great deals but run into issues. You are lucky at least this went through ebay. Imagine if you had done a side deal off ebay.

neo

Mar 18, 2015
Find someone in China to pay them a friendly visit.

eBay makes a majority of their revenue from the sellers, wether or not your item came as described. Naturally, they will be biased towards the seller.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
typical ebay scammer :D

they collect positive feedback by selling non $$$ item and boom... scam with $$ item :p
or
they selll an account (some say hacked account, I do not believe that:)). and a new owner start scamming.

I did dealt with them twice hmm, two years ago. I just realized not right on what seller previous selling item, I just requested to refund with no question.
I know some got bobo aka lost $$ by believing the seller.

lesson learn, I never buy comp/server parts from China. I'd better trust local US seller..

be carefull buying HBA/Raid "card" from China too.....

Reactions: T_Minus

unclerunkle

Mar 2, 2011
Wisconsin
I had this same issue once, except it was for a CompTIA training voucher. In hindsight, I should have followed the saying "if it looks to good to be true, it probably is." Seller shipped a blank piece of paper via certified mail and because there was a tracking number eBay/PayPal considered the item shipped. I filed a police report to no avail as well. Lost $100 on that one.

Also be careful how you submit your claim ... there are major policy differences between "item not described" and "not received." I selected item not received and in hindsight, I should have just said item not described as they got around my PayPal claim because of the tracking number.

Good luck to you sir, but I'm pretty sure you are SOL.

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Ebay did what you just said.

They closed my claim for "Not received" and re-opened one for me for "NOt as Described" told me to get the report, and then they would process it. Judging by what ebay has done it looks to have gone from outsourced to a US customer service rep because they told me to do it originally, and then later today someone from ebay re-opened the issue, emailed me more instructions and details about what they were doing for me.

I was hoping with the police report it would be easy, and a quick refund from ebay/paypal guarantee... we'll see how it goes.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Did you use a credit card? File a dispute with your credit card company?

I won every time with Discover card, even Paypal rejected my claim.

Credit card charge back is my last defensive.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Status Update:
  1. Filed my police report with ebay.
  2. Ebay reviewed for ~10 hours then "CLOSED" the case.
  3. Ebay stated "We've reviewed your transaction and decided NOT to give you a refund"
  4. I called eBay and they said someone over looked my police report, and gave me the full refund on the phone.
I checked paypal, and $ is being processed back to my bank account where it came from. Thank goodness, apparently I clicked "BUY" and didn't change to CC in drop down... close call :D