Scam Alert ... E5-2667 v4 (Pair)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
I'm kind of getting wet feets here as I realized I 'bought' some CPU's after an 'invitation' from a guest here ...

Screenshot_2021-03-13_18-49-23.png

This 'Guest' has no reputation here and I send over some money and I feel pretty stupid now. Does somebody know one of these guys? Paypal then was to a different address. I think this might be fraud. Shit.

1st time in my life.

WTF

EDIT: Not the first time I received such email when I was asking to buy/sell. But they were always STH-members. Not just a 'Guest' ... :rolleyes:
@Patrick ... can you see from where (IP) this 'Guest' logged in here?

Last edited:

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
I thought only registered users could start conversations? At least that's what I see on my account page.

1615671629422.png

nivedita

Dec 9, 2020
Ugh, I got that identical message from the same guy as well in a PM. Luckily in my case I had already completed a buy.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
I thought only registered users could start conversations? At least that's what I see on my account page.
Yes @BlueFox . That's what I thought as well and I just checked ca. 2 weeks ago the status for 'Members only'. The reason why I was not so 'careful'. Just realized later the weirdness of the whole email conversation and then the different PayPal email address. After a re-check of the PM and when I realized the guy was just a 'GUEST' I immediately thought .... 'f....'. Contacted PayPal, but when payment is released and there's no 'pending' button, the payment is gone. Opened a scam/fraud ticked. Let's see. Just fits into other costly experiences as a buyer here.

Same settings here ....
2021-03-13_23-38.png

Well ... Never trust the forum software/settings. I'm not blaming it. But eBay is a bit more expansive, but a way safer place.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
@Serverking

He was the seller and I was paying him. I 'bought' 2 CPU's from him and sent money. I can not see his shipping address as far as I'm concerned.

Serverking

The quieter you are, the more you can hear...
Jan 6, 2019
@gb00s Next time always ask the other party to send you a invoice for the amount. That way you see their name, address etc.

Reactions: StevenDTX

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
Yes @BlueFox . That's what I thought as well and I just checked ca. 2 weeks ago the status for 'Members only'. The reason why I was not so 'careful'. Just realized later the weirdness of the whole email conversation and then the different PayPal email address. After a re-check of the PM and when I realized the guy was just a 'GUEST' I immediately thought .... 'f....'. Contacted PayPal, but when payment is released and there's no 'pending' button, the payment is gone. Opened a scam/fraud ticked. Let's see. Just fits into other costly experiences as a buyer here.

Same settings here ....

Well ... Never trust the forum software/settings. I'm not blaming it. But eBay is a bit more expansive, but a way safer place.
You shouldn't have any extra trust just because you are talking to someone who has registered an account here. We've seen registered members scam people too, sometimes after building quite a post count.

Assuming you paid with Paypal goods and services rather than the friends and family then ebay is no safer than this forum as there are plenty of scams there and in the end your real protection is from eBay or PayPal's buyer guarantees.

Reactions: T_Minus

rootpeer

Oct 19, 2019
Yep I reported this guy yesterday. If you google the email you will see this username posting in the arstechnica forum with the exact same message.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
You shouldn't have any extra trust just because you are talking to someone who has registered an account here. We've seen registered members scam people too, sometimes after building quite a post count.
Yes, with this incident together I lost 1871EUR dealing with 'members' here in the last 18 months. Now with scam, others selling things not working and then staying quiet and others just don't want to bother with their shipping company and move on while keeping a nice face here. The one and only I always had positive experiences with was @Rand__ . Everything else, always trouble. Not satisfied.
Assuming you paid with Paypal goods and services rather than the friends and family then ebay is no safer than this forum as there are plenty of scams there and in the end your real protection is from eBay or PayPal's buyer guarantees.
That's the point, full eBay protection.

So PayPal denied my request to stop the payment. Even with provided evidence that this is fraud/scam. eBay would never do it. With or without eBay-protection.

And the forum operator stays quiet here providing a platform feature that is used against me/us. Don't get me wrong it's my own fault. But hey contact everyone here and say something or just kill the feature immediately. But for me dealing here privately with used parts is mostly negative. So I'm done with it.

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Oh man, really sorry to hear its so bad for you here :(
I mean just got scammed on Ebay again as well, but never here :/

Sable

Active Horse
Oct 19, 2016
Ouch. Sad to see this. I have not been scammed yet after many sales and buys on here but i have to admit i put a lot of energy into vetting my buys and sells and that should tell you something.

What's their next step, assuming the pp account is hacked they will move the money away or buy some gift cards?

systemviper

Mar 21, 2016
Newtown, CT
It's good you posted, it hurts buyers and sellers. But might stop the next scam.
I can't believe paypal wouldn't hold your cash up unless it alread paid out,
Paypal use every excuse to hold up funds.

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
And the forum operator stays quiet here providing a platform feature that is used against me/us. Don't get me wrong it's my own fault. But hey contact everyone here and say something or just kill the feature immediately. But for me dealing here privately with used parts is mostly negative. So I'm done with it.
No offense but Paypal, eBay, the forum operator cannot police every scam and you have a personal responsibility to use common sense. A forum is not an ecommerce platform.

Someone with random numbers in their forum name should've been a red flag, not to mention the gmail address with random numbers. And someone claiming to have exactly the specific and obscure thing you're looking for - like not even trying to humanize the response and engage you conversationally - but just a literal copy-paste of your request's subject line, should've been a huge red flag.

Hopefully you used a credit card so you can dispute the charge. If you have questions or doubts about the authenticity of something you should post about it and get other peoples' opinions in future. You can even message me personally - "Hey does this item on eBay look legitimate?" - I'll tell you immediately if it seems legitimate.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
@odditory

You totally missed my point. I was referring to a feature the forum software provides and which obviously can be bypassed. As this is not an unimportant feature to prevent specific disturbance and 'issues' in the wider sense for the members of this forum, I as a board admin/moderator would immediately investigate the issue, send around a warning to all members of this forum that something is odd with the forum software and members should be cautious if contacted via PM. I also would investigate this issue with the provider of the board software and, if requested, provide an IP from where the 'Guest' accessed the forum here.

It's all about information as not only me was 'surprised' about this specific 'issue' (bug?).

Nobody is blaming others for this specific case here. The quoted text passage shows it clearly. I guess you were not talking about other issues you have no information about.

No offense.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
This doesn't solve the issue the forum software obviously has. It seems that a specific 'security' setting is not respected/can be easily bypassed.