ScaleIO Compute/Storage Cluster

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
I have one of these setup already. are you planning on using Windows or Linux as your base OS?

Chris

push3r

Feb 19, 2015
It would be great if you can also disclose your thought process for why you chose ScaleIO instead of other Hyper-Converge solutions i.e. Nutanix, Ceph, vSAN, DataCore, ScaleComputing, Simplivity, etc

Reactions: T_Minus

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
1) the workload is almost exclusively 4k-16k files. and lower latency and speed were paramount.
2) Our first choice was to add SSD to an existing SAN array. The $75K to do that was not approved. the $110K (30K for the license and $80K in servers was approved...) we already had the servers. but it still had to be pulled out of a different project.
3) We are a Windows shop. Anything not Windows is almost exclusively excluded.
4) We have 2 DataCore arrays. 1 is now decomm'ed and the other is scheduled to be decommed next week. After 2 outages that took longer than 12 hours to remedy and one of them was a bluescreen in their software (fixed in latest version). management said no more.
5) S2D was not ready yet. - The Server Team was pushing for this solution.
6) We are not Hyper-Converging yet. We look at Hyper-Converged as a point solution that does not offer real scalability and tiered services.

Chris

Reactions: T_Minus

push3r

Feb 19, 2015
The point of hyper-converge is huge cost saving and simple management but from my brief reading and googling, I don't see the big cost saving. For instance, Nutanix license and blessed hardware cost A LOT!

Jake Sullivan

Oct 9, 2015
The point of hyper-converge is huge cost saving and simple management but from my brief reading and googling, I don't see the big cost saving. For instance, Nutanix license and blessed hardware cost A LOT!

Word. One of the motivations for going with ScaleIO is that it is open licensing. You can pay for support at your option (per TB).

Reactions: Chuntzu

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
It would be great if you can also disclose your thought process for why you chose ScaleIO instead of other Hyper-Converge solutions i.e. Nutanix, Ceph, vSAN, DataCore, ScaleComputing, Simplivity, etc
Ceph is not hyper converged. Ceph plus KVM plus open vswitch will get you there

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
ScaleIO is not cheap for the enterprise level. it is linear pricing. but spending $500K for 1PB license to get 500 TB of usable... it just seems out of reach for most people. that makes Windows DC licenses cheap (S2D) by comparison. even with the new licensing schema.

HyperConverged is good for a Silo or SMB. there looks to be a cost saving. but that is usually hard to find.

Chris

push3r

Feb 19, 2015
Yeh, I really like Microsoft's S2D but don't see it being implemented widely due to first generation software, plus it's tilted toward Hyper-V. And the new licensing scheme doesn't help either. I will play with it for sure.