SCADA Server Build... Suggestions?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Visseroth

Jan 23, 2016
So, this forum is a wealth of knowledge with well tempered knowledgeable people. I'd like to tap into this resource again.
I do some work around town for some people and one of these people needs a server replaced that runs a SCADA application for monitoring.

Their old server is running Win XP and needless to say is DONE!

Granted SCADA needs some horse power for quick response, so I was thinking of going with a SuperMicro SC213 chassis, 4 SSDs in a RAID 10 for OS and applications, maybe a raid 5 with a hot swap spare (suggestions appreciated) and another pool of 4 2.5 inch spinners in a RAID 10 for logs/logging.

Chassis I was considering is the SC213AC-R1K23LPB
I'd like to use a SAS3 EL1 backplane (again suggestions appreciated) and either a x10 or x11 board. I'm leaning towards a x11, single CPU multi-core running about 3.6Ghz to 4Ghz peak with 32GB of RAM with room to upgrade if needed but I'm not sure which MB I should use. The only cards or card that will likely be installed is a voice card for calling out alerts. The rest is handled by the network.

Am I on the right track or does someone have some suggestions, thoughts and/or experience I could lean on?

Visseroth

Jan 23, 2016
I'm thinking I may use the SuperMicro X10DAC. It has the ability to have 18 SATA connectors with breakout cables and built in audio device with what's listed as compatible, SC213A-R740LPB with the Xeon E5-2696v3

Last edited: