SC847 on a Quad-Port HBA

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Piley

Jun 23, 2020
Hi, I'm new at reusing data center architecture within a home setting, and storage arrays are my weak point in knowledge here from a data center hardware perspective. I recently acquired a SuperMicro SC-847 45 drive system. On the chassis case is a 4xSFF-8088 port "line-card". So, I picked up a 4-port Quad HBA Card to use in my system for this storage array, with the intent of maximizing all data throughput using the 4 wired ports. Currently, my chassis is only allowing traffic through a single SFF-8088 port, which is disappointing and confusing. Additionally, only the front 24 drives respond to anything, and the back 21 do not. I know the internal components include a SAS2-847EL2 on the 21-drive back side, but I'm not sure the exact front plane's board and they definitely look really different... At least I'm not finding any labeling printed that I can make out of yet. At this point, I believe my internal wiring is either wrong and/or missing.

I'm using this SuperMicro to host a bunch of SATA Drives as just random disks with Microsoft Storage Spaces on the computer that controls the storage array. I have no SAS drives installed.

What would I need to pick up (parts/cabling) in order to wire it such that I can use all 4 SFF-8088 ports on the case exterior to be connected to my computer for maximum data throughout via my Quad-Port HBA,, such that all 4 paths are independent Mini-SAS 4 channels?

Thanks for the Help.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
You need to actually open the chassis to look at the SAS cabling topology and adjust it accordingly. You won't require any extra parts.

Piley

Jun 23, 2020
OK, what is the correct schematics layout am I looking to ensure exists? Do you have a pictorial?

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
For maximum throughput, 2 ports going to one backplane and 2 to the other.