SC847 Heatsink Installation

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Timmons

Mar 9, 2023
Hello,

I've a SC847 that i'm in the process of quieting and was looking to the heat sinks on the CPU. I'm wanting to add noctua NH-D9L to them. For those that have gone through this process of replacing the stock heatsinks did you have to take off the motherboard entirely to seat the heat sinks? Is there any access panel to reach the back without having to remove it and rewire everything?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
the 847 is basicaly a 2u system, the noctua heatsink is for 3u and bigger chassis.

What mainboard and heatsinks do you have currently?

Timmons

Mar 9, 2023
Just overall, switching from factory passive heatsinks to active heatsink (like this SNK-P0048AP4 but then switching the fan to a quieter one) what could i expect in terms of heat reduction? 5-10 degrees?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I assume you have the passive versions of SNK-P0048AP4;

I can't find any numbers but I think it will be less than 10°c with an active heatsink, but it should be a lot quieter as the midwall fans have to push a lot less air to get the same temperatures.
I have some supermicro 2u active heatsinks and I never replaced the fans becuase they usually ran at 30%; audible but not annoying (at least to me, other people might be more sensitive and find it still "too loud")

Timmons

Mar 9, 2023
its the 36 disk box (or 24 disk)? if its 36+ box - you should look at this
(different box, but its 2u setup.
(person used nh-l9x65)

Personally i think nh-l12s might be better for inside servers.
It's the 36 box with right now only 12 disks populated. I have no intention of filling the back or even front up. I added 7 FAN-0104L4 in place of the 7 stock ones and the temperature of the 2nd CPU went up to 70C unit started beeping and flipping out. I've since returned to stock loud fans (53C) and am thinking I've no recourse if I want it to use the quiet fans than to adjust the CPU cooling. That's a good find on those fans. Sounds like they would work better than the other option of supermicro and changing out the fan.

looking at the 2 heatsinks. with Noctua NH-L9x65 vs Noctua NH-L12S. Which is the Best? - BestAdvisor.com ( guess the max TDP is best indicator of how much it would cool right?)

Speed
NH-L9x65 2500 RPM
NH-I12S 1850 RPM
Cooled CPU (Max. TDP)
NH-L9x65 140 W
NH-I12S 160 W
Noise Level
NH-L9x65 23.6 dBA
NH-I12S 23.9 dBA

I think the problem with either of these heatsinks is clearance in the case.

Last edited:

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
you should keep in mind that rack servers are built for negative static pressure. Most of those quiet fans are not built for that...

Now to cpu heatsink... all those heatsinks are not meant for servers - but if you have enough static pressure guiding hot air out you are going to be fine. If you do not have good enough static pressure the hot air is likely to be trapped, and heat up all components nearby.

(in terms of fans for servers, you should look at CFM more)