SC846TQ (new) $337

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Nice! You don't see TQ 846s often, or at-least I haven't.

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
This is the seller I bought my 846TQ from a few years ago, their communication was great and the 846TQ is still going strong!

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Sq should work with a bit hack...

Not sure if backplane fans are pwm fans...

The older one has non pwm fans on backplane..

Reactions: T_Minus

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
Is there a benefit for getting individual SATA ports vs. the ones with a few SAS ports?
With SAS expanders you're typically limited at the single SAS connector up to the rated protocol speed. e.g. a single-ported SAS2 6Gbps expander has a theoretical throughput limit of 48Gbps(SAS cable supports 4 internal lanes) from all 24 bays. Not really an issue if you're using mechanical disks, could be something to think about if you have 24 solid state disks.

wbo

Aug 4, 2015
With SAS expanders you're typically limited at the single SAS connector up to the rated protocol speed. e.g. a single-ported SAS2 6Gbps expander has a theoretical throughput limit of 48Gbps(SAS cable supports 4 internal lanes) from all 24 bays.
I think MarkLuvcCS may have been asking about the SC846A which doesn't use a SAS expander and is almost identical to the 846TQ except it has 6 SAS connectors instead of 24 SATA style connectors. One advantage that both the 846A and 846TQ share is the fact that backplane doesn't limit the speed of the drives at all. In both the SC846A and 846TQ, each drive has a dedicated connection from the backplane to the HBA or RAID controller and can operate at full bandwidth.

The only difference is the physical connectors used on the backplane side and the fact that the SC846A only requires 6 data cables going to the backplane instead of 24 which makes cable management a bit easier.

wbo

Aug 4, 2015
Yes, pretty much all of the 846 series can take both SAS and SATA drives. SATA style connectors are capable of carrying either SAS signaling or SATA signaling depending on what type of drive is connected.

You just need to make sure that you connect the cables from the backplane to an HBA or RAID controller that supports SAS (which most enterprise-grade controllers do) and you will be good to go.

I have an older 846TQ that I am running with a mix of SAS and SATA drives just fine.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
This is the seller I bought my 846TQ from a few years ago, their communication was great and the 846TQ is still going strong!
I bought one , that was very old 84TQ with non PWM fans for backplane.

finding the rail is hard and very expensive since the old one has wide rail instead of current narrow rail.

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
I bought one , that was very old 84TQ with non PWM fans for backplane.

finding the rail is hard and very expensive since the old one has wide rail instead of current narrow rail.
Absolutely right, I ended up just getting a shelf for it to sit on so I could put it in my rack. The fans still spin down when the temps are low and it's in a soundproof cabinet anyway so it doesn't really matter to me.

The rails in this listing look like they're the narrow kind so hopefully this one's the new revision.