SC846 mount vertically against wall ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

johngillespie

Jun 20, 2012
Paris, France
Hi,

I have a Supermicro SC846 case and am looking for a method to attach it safely to a concrete wall.
The server needs to be vertical : front facing down.

I've seen Startech's 4U bracket but that would require the case to have its front facing towards the ceiling which isn't good for the airflow. Also, I don't have enough room to use sliding rails.

If I could find fixed rails for the server, I could then purchase two Startech 4U brackets and rack it that way. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any.

Any ideas on how I could do this ?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Short of custom fabbing something from steel, I am stumped on this one.

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Front facing down on a hot swap drive chassis? Given the times I've had drives fall into my feet because the last guy didn't latch them right and I removed a server and tipped it downward, are you sure you want it facing down?

Reactions: Hanss and Chuckleb

nickscott18

Mar 15, 2013
Hi,

I have a Supermicro SC846 case and am looking for a method to attach it safely to a concrete wall.
The server needs to be vertical : front facing down.

I've seen Startech's 4U bracket but that would require the case to have its front facing towards the ceiling which isn't good for the airflow. Also, I don't have enough room to use sliding rails.

If I could find fixed rails for the server, I could then purchase two Startech 4U brackets and rack it that way. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any.

As a thought - can you rotate all the fans, to run the airflow the other way - ie, from back to front? This is what I was doing for a while and seemed to work well.

johngillespie

Jun 20, 2012
Paris, France
Front facing down on a hot swap drive chassis? Given the times I've had drives fall into my feet because the last guy didn't latch them right and I removed a server and tipped it downward, are you sure you want it facing down?
I'm the only person that will be working on the server as it will be at home.
If that ever happens then it'll be my own stupid fault :eek:.

As a thought - can you rotate all the fans, to run the airflow the other way - ie, from back to front? This is what I was doing for a while and seemed to work well.
Thank you ! I think you just solved my problem ! :):):)
I don't expect the airflow to be quite as good but the server doesn't get particularly hot anyway.

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Being your own fault doesn't change the dark side emotions (hate, anger, suffering, etc) trust me ;).

Why wouldn't having the front facing the ceiling be good for airflow? All the heat from the drives will rise, which means it'll leave the bay's and no have to go through the rear of the chassis?

johngillespie

Jun 20, 2012
Paris, France
Why wouldn't having the front facing the ceiling be good for airflow? All the heat from the drives will rise, which means it'll leave the bay's and no have to go through the rear of the chassis?
I just thought that it might be harder for the fans to push the air against the wall of disks instead of sucking it through them ?
We'll see how it works out. I've ordered the bracket but won't have the server installed until May when the builders are done renovating my new home :).

Thanks for your help.

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
There's only so much space to get the air through, front or rear. Bear in mind these cases are designed to accommodate 15K SAS disks, so if you're filling it with 7K SATA, you'll probably have significantly less heat in the first place. But back to my other comment, if the heat can just 'radiate up' and off, that removes a good portion of the airflow issue in the first place.

Just make sure whatever you're doing, you get some IPMI/SNMP monitoring so you can track your temps. That'll let you confirm yours/ours/internets speculation and get ahead of it if anyone was wrong.

Hanss

Apr 3, 2013
Cornfield
The problem is not only in that.
Fans must escalate only up, otherwise they will again and again to suck the hot air, which will be itself go up!

Last edited:

Hanss

Apr 3, 2013
Cornfield
What prevents you turn the bracket 90 degrees and fix the chassis like a tower?
Then it's a good ventilation and disks will not fall out of the slot.

Reactions: NetWise