SC846 Chassis - HBA Card Question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

W.Feather

Sep 25, 2013
Hey all,

Ive had a SC846 for a while, finally got around to installing into it and found out that the HBA I have wont work with the cables pre-installed in the chassis due to location of the connections. I did a quick search and couldnt find any questions quite like this. Does anyone have a recommendation for a card? Will have 8x8TB, 6x4TB in the chassis to start. Motherboard is an ASRock X99 Extreme4. Edit: Should probably add I plan on running TrueNAS Scale if that affects recommendations.

Photos of where the cables end up in relation to the card:

Thanks,
-W.Feather

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Actually, one more thought before you do that. You should confirm that the connector on the other end is the same. There are various backplane types for that chassis.

W.Feather

Sep 25, 2013
Actually, one more thought before you do that. You should confirm that the connector on the other end is the same. There are various backplane types for that chassis.
Went ahead and ordered. Looking last night both ends looked the same, ill have to check this evening when I get home from the office. Ill snap a picture or two . Only thing different from SF8087 cables ive seen before was it had two grey wires on the run, not sure what is different for them.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
the 2 grey wires are for i2c connection to the backplane to the SAS card. for things like lighting up drives to when they fail. temps from the slot etc...

Chris

W.Feather

Sep 25, 2013
the 2 grey wires are for i2c connection to the backplane to the SAS card. for things like lighting up drives to when they fail. temps from the slot etc...

Chris
Ah that would make sense and seems quite nice to have....Is that going to require a specific HBA? My extent of using a RAID / HBA previously is with a breakout cable to SATA/SAS, this is my first step into a true chassis for data storage.

W.Feather

Sep 25, 2013
Took a look and confirmed 8087, so those cables should be good to go.

Is there a way to get i2c connection outside of the "combo" like cables that are currently installed?

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Took a look and confirmed 8087, so those cables should be good to go.

Is there a way to get i2c connection outside of the "combo" like cables that are currently installed?
It has SGPIO. It's just covered by a sleeve unlike your Supermicro ones. You should be all set.

Reactions: W.Feather