SC846 Build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

halfelite

Oct 10, 2014
I have started another SC846 build. My first one has a small Gen3 I3 cpu and a M1015 flashed to IT mode to run ZFS file system on 20 drives. Its only purpose was for file storage and plex. My needs have changed so I am starting a new build.

I currently have another barebone SC846 case just backplane and PSU no motherboard. On my new build, I need a bit more power so I was looking at going with the E3-1275 v6. As it has quick sync to handle plex transcodes and enough power to run a plex docker, nodejs docker, and two VM's. The questions is what mobo to go with. I know some of the supermicro stuff used to come with LSI sas controller built it but it has been so long I cant find anything like that anymore so looking for a recommendation. I am not dead set on the E3-1275 v6 either.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
E3-1275 v6 paired with any C236 chipset is awesome for a plex server. I'm using it with an X11SSH-CTF in an AIO config with the intel graphics passed through to the plex VM. Highly recommend.

The only issue with an onboard sas controller is that when it fails, you have a couple of weeks downtime while you rma the board.